Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[/IMG]Hi everyone, great site we have here for the Astra owner. I have just bought an Astra 3 door 2.0 SRi Turbo. 170. on a 54 plate, I am really pleased with the car, apart from one thing.

once i get above 10 mph, i start to get an noise from what i think is the rear axle area, its a constant Whine / Dull Hum, which gets on your nerves after a while, sometimes its pitch alters whilst driving at a constant speed..? :mad:

Has any one had a similar problem and if so what is the likely cause... do i need a bank loan to get it repaired.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Cheers
Ken

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi Ken welcome to the site and may i say you've made a good choice of car. I've not longed joined here either and its an amazing site. Make sure you join full membership it costs £10 a year but you ger loads of benefits with it icluding trade discount at vauxhall.

Your problem sounds like it could be the wheel bearing but i'm no mechanic but i'm sure someone in the know will be along shorlty.

Again welcome to the site and i hope you enjoy the car.

Nick

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Welcome (Y)

I had a similar problem a while ago where I would get like, a mid-pitched ringing sound from the rear drivers side wheel. I took it to my mechanic friend who basically diagnosed it as a piece of metal from the brake setup rubbing against another piece of metal. It wasn't doing any damage yet, but he re-adjusted a thing or two and cleaned it all up and it's never done it since. Sorry I can't be more descriptive as he did the work for me, and I don't know too much about what he did, but it was definitely the rear caliper.

Don't know if it makes any difference to the brake setup between the 2.0T and the 1.6 though.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
welcome to the site buddy, yeh sounds like a bearing mate but 2 things iv had before were the brake pad wear prongs were pointing too far in on the calipers and touching the discs and secondly the same prob as mike above hope this helps a little and tbh shoudnt cost much mate (Y)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sorry to put a spanner in the works here but I had the same thing on my rear wheels.

I replaced BOTH rear bearing hubs (at some cost to!) & it still did it.:mad:

I've adjusted my tyre pressure to what it says in the Haynes manual which is just under 40psi front & 35 rear & it has made a vast improvement!

I've read on here another guy had the same issue & only got rid of the sound when he changed his rear tyres, again this was after he changed the rear hubs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome guys, and also the advice. I will take the car into my local dealer and get their opinion.. i will keep you posted... if i can i will post a picture of my new car.. any tips how i do this.
Cheers

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Sorry to put a spanner in the works here but I had the same thing on my rear wheels.

I replaced BOTH rear bearing hubs (at some cost to!) & it still did it.:mad:

I've adjusted my tyre pressure to what it says in the Haynes manual which is just under 40psi front & 35 rear & it has made a vast improvement!

I've read on here another guy had the same issue & only got rid of the sound when he changed his rear tyres, again this was after he changed the rear hubs.
Just remembered my old astra cabby had this problem and when i replaced the tyres it was sorted, that sound like a bearing humm too (Y)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think i wil try the tyre change first, see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the information on putting photos in my messages, but how do i put my mini picture next to my user name, in the top left.... i cant find it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have another question for the members. is the yello screen with black text the normal display in the radio /computer, info screen.
and also if i sent my car information to Vauxhall Motors at ellesmere port, would they be able to give me the build sheet for my car, to see what the original spec was when it left the production line. ?

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
If you want to get a "mini picture next to your username", you need to go to the "Edit Avatar" section of your user CP (Y)

As for the normal LED colours, yes. It is that hideous orange. People like stampede, jason and vxrcourt3 on these forums are some very skilled and trusted members who will be willing to do you a conversion for a very reasonable price :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Had the same symptoms with my old veccy and it turned out to be the tyres too, also after i had replaced the hubs :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts