Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If the car/spanner light was flashing, then I would have said it's an immobiliser problem, and the car isn't recognising the key. But I don't think it's that as the light is on, and staying on.

Presumably the car battery is ok? Do the headlights stay bright when trying to start the engine, or do they dim right down, or go completely off?

·
Registered
2014 Astra 1.6 Elite
9 Posts
Had a time in my Astra G when it would just crank and not fire with spanner light on, turned out to be a sticking EGR valve, swapped it out for a clean one and it worked fine for about 6mths then it was so gummed up it stopped working.
In the end I got a blanking plate and that was that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could anyone be able to help me.a have a automatic 2006 plate Astra and was driving along and it cut out.and now it won’t start.all lights come on the dash but the dash gos bland when you try to start it.when you try and start it all you get is a click

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Sounds like your battery has had it, or the alternator isn't charging it. Lights on the dash take very little power from the battery to illuminate them, unlike the starter motor.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Poor earth connection between battery and the car / engine?

You can test this with one jump lead connected between the negative terminal of the battery and the other end connected to the engine block, and also try connecting it to an earth point on the bodywork.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Poor earth connection between battery and the car / engine?

You can test this with one jump lead connected between the negative terminal of the battery and the other end connected to the engine block, and also try connecting it to an earth point on the bodywork.
Ok thank you will try that today and hopefully it will start

1 - 11 of 11 Posts