Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm having a lot of problems with my astra mk 5 sri cdti 150 , and was told I mite get some help here. Well here it goes. I baught the car about 4 weeks ago. I part exchanged my golf for the car from a trader, 2 days after buying the car I noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust . I checked my coolint and it was bubbling up and had loads of preasure just sprayed every where. I tried to return the car but the lad said he would get it fixed for me what ever it cost, and said to use a garage I trust and he would foot the bill. I then put the car in at a local garage and the fault was diagnosed as a head gasket failure and oil stem valve seals, since then the car has had both of these things changed plus in order to garintee the work the timing belt , water pump , inlet manifold, head scimed. The bill was a whopping £900 and the lad that sold me the car payed as he said and I thought that would be it happy days! Literally 3 days later problem accrued again! I took it back to the garage and the flushed my system and said that there was Somthing in it what looked to be copper grease in my radiator ? (Clueless) I was giving the car back and told that would be it. 5 days later I noticed my car was losing water had to fill it up daily and a lot of steamy smoke was coming out my exaust again. The car has got the garage puzzled they don't know what it is? The car has 63,000 miles full service history 1 owner from new and is immaculate .... Can some one help please?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
In answer to your question on the other thread:
I would of thought pressure testing the head would be something they would do as part of doing the HG. I'm not sure of this but I would expect it to be done.
Have you spoken with the garage where you bought the car since finding out that there are still problems? I would do this if you haven't already

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for posting 2 threads I'm new to this never used a forum before. I was going to contact them but as far as I know he would probably just blame the garage now after spending 900 on the car to put it rite . And I would have thought also like u say that they should have already preasure tested it. Is it not the garage to blame now? As they have took 900 pound and fixed the rong problem?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Man, that is no good. Surely if the guy was footing the bill in the first place you'd have scouted about for someone who knows vx/this engine inside out? The longer you leave this and the more garages it goes in to in order to find the real issue - the more chance you have of being lumbered with a dud car :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know what your saying I can't afford to put it in any other garage at this stage . Do you Think it's possible I could get a refund from the garage I bought it from?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know what u mean , I have never had problems like this with a car it's all new to me . Maybe I've been a bit stupid in this case or a lot! The garage where the car has had previous work done has said it's a cracked head

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I wouldn't say you're stupid... The garage you bought it from seems to be playing the game and putting their hands up (offering to pay to fix it) my only worry would be after several garages trying to fix it etc that the dealer you bought it from tells you he's not accepting liability because all this other playing about with it has been done. As for refund, who knows? I've heard of so many people being left with dud cars but this guy seems fair... Do you want to return it? Might be worth getting in touch with him, saying that the issue hasn't been resolved and you're willing to give it one last attempt before pursing a refund? Email though :) always keep a log just in case. That's what I've learned!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I know what u mean , I have never had problems like this with a car it's all new to me . Maybe I've been a bit stupid in this case or a lot! The garage where the car has had previous work done has said it's a cracked head
Not stupid at all mate, if your not mechanically minded then it's unlikely you'd be any wiser.

So the garage that took the head off to replace the gasket and valve stem seals, never noticed it was cracked when they had the head skimmed. Seems an utter joke, and something doesn't sound right if you ask me.

I can understand footing the bill for a new head, but no way should either you or the seller be charged for any labour or related parts.

I'd be pushing for the £900 to be refunded, and the car be taken elsewhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do feel stupid now . And couldn't regret getting rid of my past car anymore but it's done now so a have to get on with it. It's only been to 2 garages only had work done at the one of them that he authorised for the work to be done on, I would like a refund as u say because of the hassle and the lad seems sound enough. But I agree with ardon I would have thought the garage would have noticed the head was cracked when they done the skim as a few mechanic friends of mine have said also.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.