Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi really need some help from the astra h lads , I just got my mates car from him as he lost the key .He lost just the part that fits into the locks ,but he also broke the transponder ring think he thought he could start it with a screw driver , now are they universal or coded ? it only has 2 pins coming out ? next is the barrel , can i get away with drilling the top were you push in the pin bit after key is on second turn ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Any one ? surly someone else has had the common problem with the key blade falling off and has had to drill the barrel ? I t does sound like i am trying to steel a car tbh 馃槀 .I am 99% the key reder ring can be swapped over with any one the same i just need to change the barrel with out damaging other parts

Registered
There's no programming involved with the key reader or complete ignition lock housing change,
the immo info is transmitted from the key chip by the reader directly to the CIM.
I would be very careful drilling out the barrel though,these have a real problem with crud build up in the ignition housing and around the internal micro switch causing the key to permanently register as in,
drilling the barrel out may cause problems like this but there's only one way to find out ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
There's no programming involved with the key reader or complete ignition lock housing change,
the immo info is transmitted from the key chip by the reader directly to the CIM.
I would be very careful drilling out the barrel though,these have a real problem with crud build up in the ignition housing and around the internal micro switch causing the key to permanently register as in,
drilling the barrel out may cause problems like this but there's only one way to find out ;)
Thanks valer looks like i need to take the steering wheel of anyway to fit a new reader ring so think am just going to remove the whole steering lock/ignition etc

Registered
That's what i've always done (y)
CIM off,then ignition housing,make sure the steering is straight ahead before removing the wheel then the two marks on the steering angle sensor on the cim should be aligned,with a bit of luck then you won't need to program the steering angle sensor

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Brill , i will still need to remove the barrel to take off lock. Is it the white plastic part at the front that holds the barrel in ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Did not think it would be that easy,the white plastic bit it the part that closes the key hole once key is removed. Next step drill ,fun and messy . Does anyone know if the release button on the barrel is a round pin or is it like a half mood shape ? Might try drill that first

1 - 8 of 8 Posts