Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post and I know after reading so many I thought I'd do my own.
While driving up the motorway last night a display saying ac turned off due to high engine temperature came on onto my display then I lost the temperature gauge and the fan is aslo staying on and the heaters arent that hot. I've removed and replaced the temp sender in the lower part of the rad but its not sorted my problem it's all still the same. I'm now thinking its the thermostat unit. Anyone else had this and any input would be great.
My cars an astra j gtc 1.4 turbo a14net engine 2014.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hi
Has the heater in the car always got hot prior to this happening?
The engine thermostat doesn't stop coolant flow through the heater matrix just the radiator. I wonder if you have a faulty water pump or a restriction somewhere.
Your engine temp sensor will be around the thermostat housing on the engine not in the radiator. Has the temp gauge reading returned?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Has the heater in the car always got hot prior to this happening?
The engine thermostat doesn't stop coolant flow through the heater matrix just the radiator. I wonder if you have a faulty water pump or a restriction somewhere.
Your engine temp sensor will be around the thermostat housing on the engine not in the radiator
Yeh its always been fine but it the thermostat is stuck open wouldn't that make the in car heaters cooler than usual due to over cooling ? . The car has been running cooler than it was prior to that. I got a temp sender unit from my local cat parts store and fitted that. I was led to believe theres 2 sensors 1 at the bottom of the rad and 1 in the thermostat housing ? Is that not correct ?
Thanks for the reply by the way much appreciated

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yes a passing thermostat would cause your heaters to run cooler aswell as your engine.
You mentioned overheating so a passing stat wouldn't cause that.
It could be the engine thermostat's electrical heating element( if it has one) having gone faulty. That condition keeps the rad fan running

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry mate I should of been clearer. It keeps saying engine temp too high on the display but it's not actually overheating itself. I hope that makes sense lol ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes a passing thermostat would cause your heaters to run cooler aswell as your engine.
You mentioned overheating so a passing stat wouldn't cause that.
It could be the engine thermostat's electrical heating element( if it has one) having gone faulty. That condition keeps the rad fan running
Will this electrical heating element be in the thermostat housing itself so I'll have to buy a complete unit ?
I've just been out and checked all the fuses taking and putting back in 1 by 1 and the problem has gone ? This is the second time this has done this though. And will come back farily soon. It'll have to go back to vx I think to be plugged in see if ot throws up anything?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say " lost temp gauge" what exactly do you mean?
It points to a possibly faulty engine temp sensor. Your thermostat passing is a different issue imo.
The temp gauge stops working as soon as the display says ac turned off due to high engine temperature and then the rad fan runs all the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought you said you replaced the radiator lower sensor
I think it needs a good quality scan tool on it to get any codes up. Any good garage should have one.
Yeh im gonna book it into vx this week see what they say.
I did replace the temp sensor in the lower part of the rad. I didn't realise they had an engine temp sensor also.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's a different sensor for the rad although it looks similar
Ah ok as when I went to pick up the one I already changed he said there's only 1 type.listed for my car you see. Will give vx a ring tomorrow see what they say as it still says water temperature sensor. Very confusing huh 😕

1 - 20 of 36 Posts