Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so basically I own a 57 plate 3dr Vauxhall Astra MK5 model. Now earlier on today, I had been driving about as I normally do for about 10 minutes then I parked up while signing some papers leaving the car on for another 10-15 minutes. Then I'd driven for 3 miles to go and post something and when I get there I've turned the car off but as I've turned it off, I heard the fan at the front of the car still running (engine fan I'm guessing). After a minute, it the fan stopped so I continued doing what I had been doing.

When I got back 5 minutes later, I started the car and the temperature light started flashing. I thought to myself let me at least get the car home and on the way home the light turned off. When I got home and I heard the fan running again and thought the engine just overheated so I left it for a few hours.

When I got back to try and drive it to the corner shop, It started but with a struggle but I couldn't drive it for another 10 seconds before it completely died on me. After that, the car just wouldn't start and kept ticking when I turned on the ignition as if the battery was completely dead. I tried to jump starting it and it ran for about 15-20 seconds while I revved it before dying again and couldn't be revived. Now a quick back story about this is that my batteries green light has basically been non-existent since I bought the car as far as I can remember (August 2015). Now I was quite confident the battery was the problem until I remembered that the temperature light came on briefly AND the fan still comes on when I turn on the ignition.

I know this is quite a long post but I'm trying to get in the events that occurred so that I can give the best picture for the best solution. Also, if I've posted this in the wrong place, please let me know so I can move it. Any help is very much appreciated, thank you guys.

·
Premium Member
15,092 Posts
What's the battery voltage?
And is there any coolant in the header tank?

If the EML is not on then I can't imagine it being a sensor fault, sounding more mechanical.

·
Premium Member
15,092 Posts
When it ran was it smooth or lumpy? Did it seem to be running on all 4 cylinders?

Does it actually turn over on the key, or just sit there and click?
Might be worth trying another battery anyway if you can - just to eliminate it.
Might be 12V off load but collapse when you try and draw current.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When it ran was it smooth or lumpy? Did it seem to be running on all 4 cylinders?

Does it actually turn over on the key, or just sit there and click?
Might be worth trying another battery anyway if you can - just to eliminate it.
Might be 12V off load but collapse when you try and draw current.
As far as I can remember, the ride was smooth, there was nothing different about it. I don't know how it would feel it it wast running on less than all 4 of cylinders, sorry not that techy with cars, I know pure basics lol but I can search up stuff.

When the problem started happening, it turned over and the fan came on but as times gone on it just sits and clicks - no fan.

Yeah, I'm going to go halfords today to get a new battery. Hopefully that's all I need fingers crossed.

And I'm sorry but that last part made no sense to me loool ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right so so far, I've bought a new battery and that didn't solve the problem and I tried unplugging the MAF Sensor and neither did that do it. Only difference is now with the new battery, it attempts to start and does start with a struggle but dies in 2-5 seconds.

·
Premium Member
15,092 Posts
Puzzled now as I can't find anywhere where it mentions a flashing coolant light. It normally just comes on red when the engine is dead.
Can't see it having boiled if there is plenty of coolant though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts