Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

To me this looks like a worn water pipe / perished rubber leak, but just wanted to get your opinions before I contact mechanic.

I noticed last night on the way home that my cooling fan on the radiator was spinning up loudly, so I entered into diagnostic mode using the settings button held down for 8 seconds trick, and noticed the coolant temp was showing 105 degrees C! Max is normally 95. I was almost home luckily, so opened up the hood and saw that the coolant was all gone.

Hopefully its a cheap fix.

Anyway, here is the video I took this morning showing the leak - skip to 2:03 seconds to see it: http://youtu.be/2mcxha65OgU - also a closeup at about 0:47

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
on the 1.7 the thermostat by-pass hose is known to go along with a small hose at the back of the engine near the (oil filer) the hose is chewp no more then £10 from the dealers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello
This is a intresting on the hose which has oe number of 8973001490 is apparently call a Thermostat By Pass hose cheap as chips but don't ignore it especially as it is tucked out of the way of prying eyes when it fails the ecu will if your lucky go in to safe mode depending on the way the wind is blowing.Dont think though that you got away with it i.e. replace the hose and your sorted it aint that simple as several weeks later the engine fails big time blows the top heater hose of the heater matrix dumps all the coolant ecu fails to even go in to safe mode no warning light etc.
Recover vehicle and be prepared for big expense the least it does is destroy the head and that aint cheap either the most it does is crack the cylinder walls.
Vauxhall Dealer network sell loads of these hoses but apparently Vauxhall Luton say its not a concern no its a money spinner LOL engine in question yes you guessed the 1.7 diesel

·
Registered
4 Posts
So this is a one off eh from what I have picked up I doubt it although Vauxhall UK,GM USA and OPEL dont want to know

Is this the reason they fitted a Temperature Gauge on the " J " series Astra

To give the aftermarket engine reconditioners time to catch up will all the failed engines LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an update LOL
Heads now off all four pots scored one valve jammed open
And not a major concern according to the "jobs for the boys" at Luton mind you how would they know when there out on the fairway and there own dealer network dont tell them anything does anybody of this forum ever tell them anything either
Think Im blacklisted at LUTON LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
ha ha
According to main men at Vauxhall i.e the CEO at luton Vauxhalls don't have problems with there cars and then they announce the Corsa has a faulty steering joint

What are they like cant even supply a car with a steering joint that works

What chance is there of them getting a engine right lol sounds like yet another engineering design problem and nobody wants to own it

Or is it a case of buy as cheap as possible and sell as for as much as you can

Happy Motoring Vauxhall Executives LOL LOL LOL LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts