Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

***** happens......

first scratch just in 3 weeks since i got the car :(

everyone hate Monday morning and mine was even worse as i took my eyes off the side mirror (half at sleep zzzz) when i reverse bay park in my office's parking lot. luckily the car next to mine didnt notice its scratch on his. hope is not my boss's car.

anyway i got a quote from a bodyshop which will cost 130 pounds!!

so i went to halfords and they told me I can use T Cut rapid scratch repair first , put on a colour matching paint (halfords can mix one for me) then polish off with T Cut rapid scratch repair (e.g. T cut polish> paint > t cut polish).

do you guys have any better idea to do this DIY?

many thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
How about CHIPS AWAY also they give you a guarentee with their work. I once had a repair done to my Daughters Corsa which was only weeks old and you couldn't tell where they had done it months later. It was well worth the money.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Assuming that the damage is a rub through and not just darker paint from the other vehicle, then there's no shortcut to getting that sorted properly - touching in will 'lessen' it's appearance, but that's about it

Chipsaway is a good shout, but I gather the quality can vary from one Tech to another as they are a franchised set up

However, if it is just paint form the other vehicle, then you may well be able to polish it off - but even then I'd be looking at using a proper orbital machine etc

The £130 quote isn't *too* bad, but Chipsaway might work out cheaper

·
Registered
91 Posts
As above. Chips Away did a whole wing on my old mondeo a few years back IIRC it cost £150.

You can easily do those scratches yourself if you have the time, patience and ideal weather conditions, but I wouldn't go anywhere near Halfords or T-Cut Scratch repair.

You will need:

Colour coded paint (aerosol not touch up brush), lacquer, P2000 wet n dry, farcla G3 rubbing compound, masking tape.

The best place I found for colour matching paint was Paints4U

Build you paint up in layers allowing each one to dry and harden, flatten back with the wet n dry then lacquer. Any orange peel effect will be removed with the G3. Then polish as normal.

Did a key scratch that way and afterwards you couldn't tell it was there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a bumper repair done on my old astra h at chips away if i remember right it was about £55 for the side to be resprayed but that was about 4 years ago.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
which lacquer will u recommend?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've had something similar happen to my Seashell. Someone scratched my rear bumper, what i did to fix it was go to Opel and ordered for a paint repair pack. It has the same exact colour as the factory colour, since its from opel. They check your colour code and order it. Mine costed 16 euro, came from germany and it includes two little bottles with brushes. One has the paint, another has the polish. It wont look the same as it was before, but its 1000 times better

1 - 8 of 8 Posts