Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2015 astra j 1.6 with 75k miles on the clock and when doing the oil check and i noticed black gunk in the expansion tank car starts and drives fine but is loosing coolant but is no coolant leaks thanks

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Oil cooler is the number one suspect

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi i have changed the oil cooler gave it a couple of flushes and changed the expansion tank and it was clear for a bit but now has come back changed the seals to dont know what to do at this point

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi sorry for not updating yet car overheated today and I think it has caused the head gasket to blow how can I tell
You would have to get it pressure tested or you can buy a combustion leak kick on Amazon (blue liquid that tests for combustion gases). Ideally do both.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You would have to get it pressure tested or you can buy a combustion leak kick on Amazon (blue liquid that tests for combustion gases). Ideally do both.

How much are these

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
One very quick Google.

There is a different type on Amazon which is more expensive £45 but I've tried and tested this s one and it does work, cannot voucher for the accuracy of the eBay one

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is a different type on Amazon which is more expensive £45 but I've tried and tested this s one and it does work, cannot voucher for the accuracy of the eBay one

Is there all ways going to be exhaust gases in the coolant bottle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You will need to let it get up to temperature some, if unsure how to use it, YouTube search Bodgit and leggit garage - headgasket, in one of his videos he tests the device

Will I be able to see bubbles in the tank if it is bubbling wont i be able to smell the exhaust gasses

·
Registered
50 Posts
Will I be able to see bubbles in the tank if it is bubbling wont i be able to smell the exhaust gasses
Trying to smell the gases will be difficult and not tease safe, having your face over a hot coolant reservoir isn't the best thing and of you burnt yourself you would of bought the £43 tester 50 times over compared to a burnt face. The smell of coolant can be quite strong so trying to get a distinctive smell of exhaust gases maybe hard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so thanks for the reply’s I have done this and it has turned yellow not sure what I should do now car also overheated a week before doing this so I am not sure if this could have anything to do which it what should I do

1 - 20 of 21 Posts