Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have an 05, 5 speed manual Astra H, and I want to renew the gear knob and gaiter as they have gotten old and crumbly with time.

I have tried some guides found both here and on YouTube to no avail.

I have no issues removing the gaiter, however, no matter how much I swear, I cannot take the gear knob out. I have tried both removing the white clip, which will not budge, as well has pulling and twisting the knob out , resulting in nothing but a close call on a washed pair of boxers.

Can I please have some enlightenment on the correct process of removing this sucker? And if there is anything in specific I need to be aware when putting the new one in?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I did mine last month and it was a nightmare however I was saved by the fact that as I took a good grip of the knob and yanked upwards the whole mechanism came off which made it 10 times easier to replace. There are YouTube clips but it would appear brute force and luck are the way forward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Either that or get a decent gear-lever full assembly off eBay, or the local scrappy, it’s only 4 bolts to take the full cage out anyway

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did mine last month and it was a nightmare however I was saved by the fact that as I took a good grip of the knob and yanked upwards the whole mechanism came off which made it 10 times easier to replace. There are YouTube clips but it would appear brute force and luck are the way forward!

By the whole mechanism, do you mean the gear stick and everything came out? Or just the gear knob and the black plastic mechanism?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Either that or get a decent gear-lever full assembly off eBay, or the local scrappy, it’s only 4 bolts to take the full cage out anyway

By doing this, is there a chance I mess something up? As you probably could tell from the post, I am "mechanically challenged".

I am just starting out on learning on how to work on my car as it is my first car. However, I am keen to learn, which is why I am tackling these small projects.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The gearstick is a solid piece of metal which is connected solidly to the car. The knob along with the gaiter and the bit that enables you to select reverse all slid off mine. I’ve owned it for 9 years and it’s never been off but the way it came off suggested it had been off before?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gearstick is a solid piece of metal which is connected solidly to the car. The knob along with the gaiter and the bit that enables you to select reverse all slid off mine. I’ve owned it for 9 years and it’s never been off but the way it came off suggested it had been off before?

Thank you for the clarification.

And based on my experience with my gear knob, I would assume yours probably has been off before, because this **** is harder to take off than a nun's pants.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well finally a post that I feel I can contribute something to! I just went through this whole process.
Take a look at this youtube link - it shows everything talked about above.

Of course it is not so easy, but you see what is supposed to happen. I had to wrap a cloth around the gear stick knob and use adjustable pliers to get it moving.
And the only way I could refit the white bit was to assemble everything in my workshop and use my weight to push the gear knob into the white fitting against my vice - sounds strange, but if you look at how it works, and how you have to remove it I think it will make sense.

Have fun - the most important thing is knowing that you did not break your shifter when the whole thing just comes out :cool:

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you do get it off, make sure when you refit that you hammer the new knob all the way down as far as it will go. Otherwise you end up being able to select reverse without engaging the safety button under the knob which can make for an interesting driving experience

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well finally a post that I feel I can contribute something to! I just went through this whole process.
Take a look at this youtube link - it shows everything talked about above.

Of course it is not so easy, but you see what is supposed to happen. I had to wrap a cloth around the gear stick knob and use adjustable pliers to get it moving.
And the only way I could refit the white bit was to assemble everything in my workshop and use my weight to push the gear knob into the white fitting against my vice - sounds strange, but if you look at how it works, and how you have to remove it I think it will make sense.

Have fun - the most important thing is knowing that you did not break your shifter when the whole thing just comes out :cool:
Thank you for the reply and for the video. They were really helpful for when I go and give it another try.

I have gotten somewhere with it yesterday purely out of guessing and brute force. The entire stick assembly came out and I damn nearly pooped my pants... However, I was able to put the new one in, with a couple of caveats:

1 - I could not put the leather over the white clip, as it would just not clip in, with the leather on it. I will try the pliers technique that was demonstrated on the video at another time.

2 - I think I may have bought the wrong piece. I have done some research prior to buying it, buying one as similar to the original one as possible and that fitted the specification of my car, however the base that it comes in, is not a proper fit into the hole. It seems just a tiny little bit smaller at the back and a tiny little bit bigger at the front. Can I ask where you bought yours and if by any chance you have a link for it? I have an 05 5 door Astra Life, and I cannot seem to find a part number for the gear knob and gaiter.

Thank you for your reply and help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you do get it off, make sure when you refit that you hammer the new knob all the way down as far as it will go. Otherwise you end up being able to select reverse without engaging the safety button under the knob which can make for an interesting driving experience

Thankfully I have realised this already 😂 But bloody hell, I don't think any other car on the road has had that amount of hammering 😂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts