Astra Owners Network banner

Help!!, 2004 Astra G convertible 1.6 16v ECU dead, need help to find replacement unit

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  michaeltoogood 
#1 ·
My sisters Astra G convertible has succumbed to the dreaded dead ECU, the nice man from the AA pronounced it had expired a week ago, since then we have been trying to either get it fixed or replaced. Problem 1. apparently it is a mega rare ECU only manufactured for 18 months. Sent it to ECU Testing for repair, they tested it and spent 2 days trying to fix it, only to say it is not repairable. Contacted ECU to go, they said they do not have one in stock, the last one they had seen was over 12 months ago. We are now snookered, the car is much too good to scrap, it is a late G with a H engine in it. The number of the ECU is DZKR 12249831 HSFI-2.4.
Can anyone offer any solution to this problem, we have been told on one hand that if we get any 2.4 ECU then it can be re programmed to the defunct ECU, others have said this is only possible if you have security codes for both units, others have said it ain't possible at all.
Can someone please point us in the right direction to get this sorted, we have found an ECU with identical numbers online, if we bought this, would it still have to be re-programmed to her car in order to work. It may seem from my post that I haven't a clue what I am talking about, that's because I don't, so help.

#2 ·
If the used replacement ECU has the same part numbers (Ideally the same alpha code as well), then it could be made to work. If you can get an ECU that has been correctly uninstalled i.e. divorced from the donor car, or just have the security code for it, it will make the job easier. What ever happens you will need the new ECU programming to the car, but it doesn't need to cost the earth if someone local will hep you out.

Where abouts are you located?

#3 ·
If the used replacement ECU has the same part numbers (Ideally the same alpha code as well), then it could be made to work. If you can get an ECU that has been correctly uninstalled i.e. divorced from the donor car, or just have the security code for it, it will make the job easier. What ever happens you will need the new ECU programming to the car, but it doesn't need to cost the earth if someone local will hep you out.

Where abouts are you located?

Thanks for your reply, we have managed to get a brand new ECU which I believe is un-programmed, it is the same part number as the failed one, I presume it will still need programming to the car?. is it a case of supplying both the old and new ECU's to the person doing the work?.
We are in Huddersfield and have looked locally online, it seems there are a couple of possibilities to get the ecu programmed once it arrives.
Thanks once again.

#4 ·
If it is unprogrammed it will need the initial SPS programming before it will work or can be adapted to work with the car,
as a matter of interest which particular 1.6 16v engine is this,Z16XEor Z16XEP ?
and was it swapped actually out from an Astra H ?

Reactions: barneyrussel
#6 ·
That makes sense,the XEP was fitted standard to late G's,it's less complicated if it wasn't a home brew swap out,
SPS can be done by many now, it doesn't need to be a dealer,
think of it like buying a laptop without a pre-installed operating system

#8 ·
I just want to express my sincere thanks to all who have helped solve this problem. We have eventually managed to find a genuine brand new ECU, the first 'new one' we got turned out to be very used, filthy, damaged and had melted pins!, but we now have the genuine article. ECU's to go in Redcar have said they can programme it for £90, so a good result at last.
Thanks once again, especially valer.

#10 ·
Thank you for your concern, I was wondering that too, but apparently, the chap who has programmed the new one told us that the old one had faults in the electronics, a temporary repair had been carried out by the AA a few months since when the part of the ECU that controlled the fuel pump relay died, we should have started looking for a replacement then, but you always think there is plenty of time, plus which, we did not know how rare these things were till too late.
Thank you all for your help, you are all stars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.