Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Elite has the heated leather seats, the drivers one has a fault where it's fine on setting 1 or 2 but on 3 it gets super hot to the point of burning my bum and then switches off. I guess the thermostat is faulty and it's going over temp and cutting out.

I guess it's yet another trip to the stealers..............

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My Elite has the heated leather seats, the drivers one has a fault where it's fine on setting 1 or 2 but on 3 it gets super hot to the point of burning my bum and then switches off. I guess the thermostat is faulty and it's going over temp and cutting out.

I guess it's yet another trip to the stealers..............
if it's burning your bum (which it shouldn't) then maybe it's designed to cut out? i would hope it would be...have it on level 2 (Y)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mine has started doing this however no heat comes through drivers seat at all! I took it to the dealers but they said "they can't touch the electronics whilst my aftermarket HID kit is in the headlights" not a happy chappy! And I rather have my xenons then heated driver seat lol

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if it's burning your bum (which it shouldn't) then maybe it's designed to cut out? i would hope it would be...have it on level 2 (Y)
The passenger one has the same 3 settings, 1=warm, 2=toasty and 3=toasty warm and there is no getting really really hot and switching off like the drivers one.

It must be a fault.................again......

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Mine has started doing this however no heat comes through drivers seat at all! I took it to the dealers but they said "they can't touch the electronics whilst my aftermarket HID kit is in the headlights" not a happy chappy! And I rather have my xenons then heated driver seat lol
i agree with them.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The passenger one has the same 3 settings, 1=warm, 2=toasty and 3=toasty warm and there is no getting really really hot and switching off like the drivers one.

It must be a fault.................again......
do you realy need it on level 3? level one warms my *** nicely...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you realy need it on level 3? level one warms my *** nicely...
To be fair I only use no3 first thing and then I turn it down to 2 and after an hour on the motorway I turn it down to 1 or off, basically I would like my car to be fault free at the end of the day.

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
then take the HID's out, get the car fixed, but the HID's back, simple

·
Registered
173 Posts
If I put the drivers seat on 3 it will turn off after 5 minutes, but not on 1 or 2, I assumed this was just an automatic setting that was built in.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
the seat will probably have resistors to control each heat setting or possibly three sets of elements in the pad. it will also have an overheat thermostat in the pad so if it gets too hot it turns the lot off to stop a fire.

either way, it shouldnt do it, and your hids shouldnt have anything to do with this, try a different dealer

·
3,878 Posts
My hire car this week is actually an Astra for once :) And for added bonus factor it's a Technical Grey Sports Tourer 1.4turbo in Sport trim which is like our SRi but with sight & light pack, climate and flex fold seats :yippee: A spec I could have been very tempted to buy myself, so it'll be interesting to try it out for the week.

Anyway, more to the point it has heated seats which is REALLY nice to have here in Sweden, so I did some tests as I made my way down the E18...

On level 3 the drivers seat got toasty then switched off after about 5mins. It did let me turn it straight back on though and kept me toasty for another 5mins before turning off. This repeated three times, but then the fourth time it stayed on until I reached my destination about 15mins later. I'd say it was toasty, but not burning me, and toasty is what you want in this part of the world!

I also put the passenger seat on level three and that didn't turn off the whole time. However I think without anyone sitting on it the heat just leaks away into the car and the seat itself doesn't actually get that warm. I put my hand on it a few times to feel and it really wasn't very warm at all.

So I think the cut-out is a designed-in feature to keep it from getting too hot, but it seems perhaps the designer's idea of "too hot" is a bit too cautious for what some of us may want.

·
3,878 Posts
Good question... I'll look for that in the morning. Again that would be very welcome!

·
A.O.N. - Astra-(GTC)VXR.com
288 Posts
Mine started doing this back in September drivers seat would only stay on for around 5 minutes where as the passenger side stayed on till switched off regardless of somebody been in the seat or not.

Mentioned it to the dealer. Straight away they said it was a fault with the pad apparantly Insigna's suffer from it aswell so they'd order in the replacement pad. a couple of days later I had the call to tell me the replacement pad was in stock. Dropped the car off whilst they changed it. It's been fine since stays on till you switch it off.

If yours is automatically switching off take it back and get them to replace it.

·
3,878 Posts
Good question... I'll look for that in the morning. Again that would be very welcome!
Alas, no heated steering wheel in this one. You can't win them all I suppose!

·
3,878 Posts
I made plenty of use of the heated seat all week and funnily enough one day it stayed on for a full hour on setting three without cutting out, but the next day it was back to cutting out every 5mins.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts