Astra Owners Network banner

Head unit and display upgrade / mod

12K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  sheepy3982k13 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,
First off, apologies if this has been posted, but since the search function is displaying a blank page, I have to start a new tread.
I've bought a used 2012 1.6 (85KW) Opel Astra Classic 3 (former H) Petrol with LPG system installed.
I would like to start upgrading from the inside out and start from the HU (standard CD30 MP3 + BID 3 line display).
From what I've read so far, upgrading the HU on an Astra can be a nightmare.
The car don't have the BC activated (no function displayed when pressing the BC button).
I would like to install an Android unit and keep the steering wheel controls and there are couple of ways to do that. The problem is, the position of the HU is not great in terms of using it for NAV etc. (too low in the panel) and is posing a security risk if used while driving.
Has any of you guys, managed to MOD something like:
Option 1:
7-8 inch display in place of BID, able to display BC information (replicate BID) and be used as AUX for audio on original HU (Android would be best)
Option 2:
Fit an entire Android 2 din HU in place of the BID and relocate the BID elsewhere
Option 3:
Upgrade the HU to something 2 din and upgrade the BID to something android and somehow connect them and keep the steering wheel controls :)
You see where this is going, right?
I'm probably coming off like a nutjob but I'm new in the Astra world and will probably end up keeping the original HU and BID but I will be extremely grateful if someone throws some ideas that will not require selling a kidney, of course :).

Best regards,

Dame

See less See more
#2 ·
It can be done, just extend the wires to the display and relocate it to the roof, that way the space for it can be used for a satnav, and only use a connects2 lead for any aftermarket headunit as it’s the only dependable 1 to retain the steering controls as it’s a genuine plug and play
But a decent make of headunit like pioneer or alpine, android seem to be quite fairly crap on playback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thank you both for the suggestions. I figured it won't be an easy job but it's worth the shot. @BrandonC I will look into the project, seems interesting and modular. It would be nice to incorporate CANBUS2Android on that setup, though it's a long shot...
Till I aquire the necessary parts I will deal with BC activation, eratic idle and occasional misfiring on cyl2 :).

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
With the propper app and api, you will be able to intercept and interpret vehicle informations (think of it as a faster OBD2 connection) . I will be satisfied with using the steering wheel remote controls for starters.

#9 ·
Replacing the HU with aforementioned kit would probably mean losing the built in amp/staging and 7th speaker. I'm currently working on replacing the BID with Nexus tablet (mod known as carputer) with bluetooth to aux connection for sound input to the original HU. There is an adapter made from some Russian guys that intercepts the CAN messages and emulates the BID/GID/CID on an android unit via the OBD to USB connection, but they are no longer selling it outside Russia (plus the waiting queue is miles long). I will most probably end up with the tablet as display, ditching the battery and running it straight from the car battery (stepped down voltage) and have it wake/resume on ignition and automatically connecting to car HU and ELM adapter for displaying Torque data and widgets, navigation and music. I'm having some trouble integrating it all together as an APK so for start I will use custom launcher. As for relocating the display, not much to work with, I have the basic courtesy light and can't move it to the ceiling without cutting the upholstery so I will place it on top of the 7th speaker in a custom made "shell" that (hopefully) won't be too ugly. Next stage would be USB-DAC and ditching the BID altogether (hiding it somewhere). I plan to complete this mod in a couple of weeks couse it's too hot to sit in the car during the day and mosquitoes won't let me work at night :).

#11 ·
True it is expensive, but the option is there.

Is a fully andriod device, with the feature sets, like bluetooth, hands free, steering wheel controls, and access to the play store. I am thinking if using a Rasberry Pi for a headunit. Though still need to plan it all out

#17 ·
Dame, definitely interested. The only reason I was interested in using Rasberry Pi, was because I was interested in intercepting the signals from the steering wheels controls, and using that to control the UI on the Rasberri Pi. Didn't want a touchscreen display as they are too expensive compared to just buying a display. Plus there are some awesome IPS displays that you can pair with the Rasberri Pi. It can be done both ways, but I would definitely like to see yours done.

#21 ·
Hi folks, it's been a while since I wrote my last post but this pandemic really took a swing at us. It's been crazy at work (and home) and I haven't got the chance to give you an update for the project. Good news, it's complete and is serving the purpose better than I could've hoped for.
I can't really go step by step with pictures since I don't have them all but I will try to explain everything I did and you can feel free to ask if anything is missing or is unclear.
DISCLAIMER: Following this procedure may result in damaging your tablet, your car interiors or even set the car ON FIRE ! I will in no case be held liable or responsible for anything you do regarding this project and everything you do is your responsibility. Only do this if you know what you're doing ! ! !
Now that everyone is warned, I will start with the parts needed for this project (hope I wont forget something):
  1. Tablet (Nexus 7 2013)
  2. 3D printed frame
  3. USB OTG Y cable (I've DIY mine :) )
  4. USB HUB (Self powered if you plan to use high current devices like external HDD etc.)
  5. Step-down power module (buck converter)
  6. Switches
  7. Fuses
  8. Fuse cases
  9. Relays
  10. Easycap USB device
  11. S-Video Camera
  12. UVC USB Camera
  13. OBD female to male extension cable
  14. OBD Bluetooth scanner
  15. Micro switches (push buttons)
  16. Cables/wiring
  17. Misc... :)
This whole project is known as the "Carputer" and it can be done couple of ways, depending on your particular setup. First, you need to root the tablet and install the Timur kernel which is essential for all of this to work. Get your SW part all set up then continue.
For safety, you should consider permanently removing the battery from the tablet and connecting it to permanent feed from the car battery. This is known as the No-Battery mod, and the procedure can be found on multiple sites on the net. I strongly advise to remove the battery so to avoid swelling of the battery over time or igniting the device or the car itself due to battery failure. Make sure you do EVERYTHING outside the car first, so, you can test and try everything before you place the tablet in the car. Like this:

Here is the schematic (if you can call it that) for my complete setup:

From the schematic you can pretty much get the hang of it, but I'll try to list some of the essential steps you need to take.
Once you have removed the battery and you are running the tablet straight from the converter, you are pretty much good to go. Make sure the tablet wakes on charge and goes to sleep on charger disconnect (part of the kernel's magic).
Find a live 12v in your car (I've used the cigarette lighter on mine) so you can hook up the power converter.
Find a 12v SWITCHED for connecting the 12v to 5v converter (regular ciggy2usb will do) that is used for "charging" the tablet.
Hack into the OBD extension cable and feed it 12v from the SWITCHED 12v. Make sure you break the original 12v so you don't back feed into the OBD port. Without this, you will end up with a flat battery because the OBD port has a PERM 12v and the BT scanner will be ON all the time. That is why we are feeding it SWITCHED 12v, so it only runs on a turn of the key.
Find a way to route the cables behind the centre console to the glovebox and under the gearshift.

Connect everything and make sure it works.
Next, placing the tablet in the centre console... This is the tricky part and you have to be creative with the 3D printed frame. I've used a Styrofoam in the back and a couple of screws to position it all up.

Once you have that out of the way, you need to find a place for the OEM display. It's a popular choice to move it to the roof, but I couldn't do that since I have the basic courtesy light in the upholstery. I've extended the cable and hid the display behind the glovebox and have a pointed UVC camera that turns on via a switch, so I can see everything on the tablet itself, without gazing up :).

The reverse camera is a basic installation, it is operated via a relay and the reverse light, so it turns on only when the car is in reverse.

The little buttons you see on the picture above are the extended power and volume buttons of the tablet. Make sure you do the same so you don't end up tearing the dash every time you have to use them. I have them remapped so I use them for volume and song switching (with the help of an app).

The rest is all SW and automation. Lots, and I mean lots of Tasker tinkering, Torque and what not, but it all depends on your needs.
That is all I can think of right now. It sure isn't a good step by step DIY but feel free to ask if something is missing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.