Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guy just got some H.I.D's and had a look n it looks like to get access to the headlight bulbs i need to take headlights out to fit the hid's is this correct?? if so how do i do it

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Well what headlights have you got?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
If you fit them you will a)blind other drives b) wont pass mot c)illigal

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
easiest way is to fit bulbs like osrams or phillips.

might sound as though peeps having a go but its annoying as hell when peeps do mods but dont do them properly imho

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
OK,

Lets correct some of the information in this thread

hey guy just got some H.I.D's and had a look n it looks like to get access to the headlight bulbs i need to take headlights out to fit the hid's is this correct?? if so how do i do it
Unless you have REALLY small hands or you are a contortionist then yes the easiest way is to lower the bumper and then remove the headlight cluster.

just standard ones
Please make sure you have the correct HID bulbs for reflector lenses and not just standard HIDS.

Easiest way is to drop the front bumper off (Y)
As above

that take long to do?
No, it takes roughly 30 minutes if you are careful, I would recommend getting another pair of hands though as the bumper can be a little tricky because of its size

If you fit them you will a)blind other drives b) wont pass mot c)illigal
A) Not if they are aligned correctly and are the right bulbs as stated above
B) See A
C) See A again

easiest way is to fit bulbs like osrams or phillips.
might sound as though peeps having a go but its annoying as hell when peeps do mods but dont do them properly imho
If all you are looking for is a brighter light, then listed to Alan above,
If you are set on putting HIDS in the car then please re read the above

to recap

Make sure they are designed for reflector lenses
If you have man hands then drop the bumper
Please get the aligned after you fit them
Take pics once done

:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats why im asking alan as i believe in doing this once and doing it properly :) dont see the point of doing a dodge job as you tend to have to re-do it later down the line

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
they are good for reflector lenses :)
You need canbus compatible H7R bulbs with a set of split bulb holders.

Drop the front bumper and take out the head lights to fit.

Make a hole in the rubber covers to fit the bulbs.

If you use H7R in standard light fit them the right way up and have them aligned properly they should not dazzle other road users.

Fact is ALL aftermarket HID are illegal if not fitted in head lights made for the purpose.

HID units fitted onto standard lights null and void your insurance. No insurance company will insure something that is illegally fitted to a car **FACT**.

So anyone driving with HIDs in standard headlights is technically driving without insurance.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
HID units fitted onto standard lights null and void your insurance. No insurance company will insure something that is illegally fitted to a car **FACT**.

So anyone driving with HIDs in standard headlights is technically driving without insurance.
In no way shape or form is this a FACT. An insurance company can only void a claim or a portion of a claim if an uninsured modification directly contributed to the claim. If the modification is not relevant to a claim but forms part of the claim, i.e. a front end shunt smashes the HID bulbs, the insurance company will simply pay out for a standard part and will not replace the modified part 'like for like'

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Ring up your insurance company and declare your illegal HID units then.

Or how about inviting one of the forums insurance sponsors to comment on undeclared modifications, more importantly illegal ones.

Just to set it straight regarding HID’s in aftermarket headlight’s Projector or Reflector.
“On 1 January 2012, new rules were added to the current MOT by the Department for Transport (DfT) to comply with European testing procedures.
..So in a nut shell..
Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.”

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bsicly if i get them realined once they are installed ill be fine, unless iv read it wrong you have just contradicted your self with that...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Do you have self levelling projector head lights and head light washers fitted? If not then a fail.

Why do you think I got rid of my H7R HID's???? Would still have them if I could, but after an MOT fail no longer try and use them. Not saying this for the sake of it, HID's were 100% better than the normal bulbs.

Not contradicted myself at all. Yes, sorry you have read it wrong.

Old fact sheet, new one even stricter.

"Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps
December 2006

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon.

If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary
it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DR

Telephone: 020 7944 2078
Fax: 020 7944 2196
Email: [email protected]"

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
No one has self levellers and washers installed with their HIDS but many have passed there mots. If they aren't installed from new, they are not needed to pass an MOT

·
Registered
422 Posts
The fact is that the light source of a HID bulb (H7R HIDs included) is different (larger) than that in a conventional bulb, so will never be focussed properly in a headlight designed for filament bulbs, so there is more stray light. Hence the regulations concerning their use, and the more stringent MOT test. You can see the glare coming from a distance and they really are best avoided as an aftermarket modification.

MM

·
15,092 Posts
But if you get projector lamps, fit washers and levellers (which is all possible) then crack on (Y)

And I agree with the above, you can clearly see the scatter from HID burners in reflecting lamps.
But misaligned lamps in general is a bugbear of mine.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts