Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys n Gals, need to replace the rocker cover gasket and the bolts that hold the cover need to be replaced too. Does anyone know the spec of the bolts?
I called Vauxhall and they said either M6 21mm or 30mm and they're not stocked
Kinda need to get this done today as the Wife has only given me a free-pass for this afternoon
Was hoping if they're generic I'd get them from somewhere else
I m based up near Bedford
As always, thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'd just re use the old ones pal and make sure they're torqued to specification to ensure you don't snap them..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh! 1 already snapped when removing
Thanks anyways mate
From the looks of it it might be easier to find another cover too

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alll sorted now, the bolts do indeed come with the cover. Vauxhall wanted £270 for replacement cover and wait 2 days to deliver, Vauxcentre wanted £120 and delivery next day (and 1year warranty):thumbs: which i thought was pretty darn good! And the rocker gasket came with it too
Managed to remove the 2 snapped bolts from the engine block and installed the new cover
Glad I did it myself as opposed to using a garage although i didi have to apologise to the neighbours for the bad language after the 2nd bolt snapped on the old cover
Job-jobbed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alll sorted now, the bolts do indeed come with the cover. Vauxhall wanted £270 for replacement cover and wait 2 days to deliver, Vauxcentre wanted £120 and delivery next day (and 1year warranty):thumbs: which i thought was pretty darn good! And the rocker gasket came with it too
Managed to remove the 2 snapped bolts from the engine block and installed the new cover
Glad I did it myself as opposed to using a garage although i didi have to apologise to the neighbours for the bad language after the 2nd bolt snapped on the old cover
Job-jobbed

·
Registered
2 Posts
how did you get the bolts out please.
I replaced my gasket last week Z18xer as it was weeping, tried to nip up the bolts but one ended up snapping.
So, new gasket from eby (£8) and some replacement bolts from the local scrap yard.
Yes they do come with the cover and have a collar embedded in the cover itself and the bolt is free to move about within the collar.
But you can drift them out - either using one of the 'new' bolts or a small enough socket.
Once the rocker cover is off then I just used a pair of mole grips to unscrew the snapped off bolt stud - came out really easy!
You'll then need to remove the collar from the rocker cover - again just drift it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts