Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Have owned my Astra J 1.7CDTI since Aug 2014 and this year I decided that I'm not planning to re sell it and hence to start servicing it myself.
So far, I've done my oil, and filters (fuel, air and oil) change, changed my glow plugs, and changed my camshaft sensor, using youtube and this forum as guide. So I thought I'd come and say Hi!
I don't know much about cars, but thought I'd start learning, it'll save me money and I've always wanted to learn about for the fun of it anyway.

More recently, I've noticed my gear stick moves back and forward as I'm pulling away, and sometimes when I am in 2nd with the clutch depressed.
I've read a few threads and saw that the majority goes for Gearbox bearings needing replacing or indeed the gearbox? However, I've contacted a garage who 'suggested', that 'it is more likely to be the external gearbox mountings'! He is quoting me £175 to get them fitted/replaced as it won't require removing the gearbox.

Any thoughts? External gearbox mountings as the source and the cost to fix it?

Cheers
Costa.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The gearbox is a solid transverse unit bolted to the engine and what your garage is suggesting will be one of (or both of) the two mountings which control fore and aft movement. The part numbers differ depending on whether you have a manual or auto box. £175 is a reasonable charge if it includes parts, but I would expect him to put the car up on the ramp to confirm his diagnosis before you agree to the work. You can do the job yourself but it is a pain to do the aft mounting without jacking the entire front end of the car, and unless you have axle stands I would not suggest you try this.

A quick look suggests part number for rear mounting is 24427641 and the front is 24459781, but these numbers are unconfirmed without your VIN. I would not expect your man to buy genuine GM parts but at least you can research prices on the internet and / or places like eBay and Eurocarparts. Pattern parts look to be about £16 for the rear and £30-odd for the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi.
Thanks.
I will have it diagnosed, and go ahead with the job if they keep that as being the potential source for the issue. Will not attempt to fix this one myself!
Will report back if it fixes it. It will hopefully add another potential source for the common gear stick movement issue, should anybody else come across it in the future.

Cheers
Costa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts