Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone. New to this forum and also new to being an Astra owner. I've just for rid of my trusty Peugeot 207 after 5 years.

I have a 13 plate 1.7 cdti Sri which is quite frequently actively regenerating the DPF, I do only make short trips, (I am starting to regret not getting a petrol, against advice 馃槕) and was wondering if this could be causing the almost weekly 'continue driving dpf full' warning. It has had an aborted regen the other day because I couldn't keep driving, had no time. Since checked the oil and it has risen slightly so I will be changing the oil asap. The vehicle also has a slightly uneven idle. I have also had the Service vehicle soon message, but it's not due until July. Does anybody have any suggestions on potential issues before I take it to be plugged in?

I look forward to reading your replies and thankyou for reading my post.

Registered
It's good you've done your research and are fully aware of the potential issues with failed re-gens,
the SVS message is nothing to do with it needing a service though,it means there's a fault code stored,
this may be causing re-gen issues or it may be as a consequence of the failed re-gens so a code read is needed,but yes it sounds as though you have the wrong engine for your driving profile

Reactions: Samantha93

Registered
My daily commute in my Astra-J 2.0 CDTi is a 7 mile trip to work, and 7 miles back home again. Most of it in stop/start traffic, or some lycra clad wally on a bicycle holding everyone up.

But at the weekend it gets an Italian tune up of at least 40 miles on the local bypass, and if a regen starts, then 99.9% of the time I try and let it complete it, even if I have to make a slight detour to get to my destination.

If I'm on a local back road when a regen starts, I make sure to try and keep the revs above 2000 rpm, regardless the speed I'm doing. I get some strange looks sometimes when I pass people with the engine screaming away, but it's the only way to clean out the soot and cobwebs.

Registered
My daily commute in my Astra-J 2.0 CDTi is a 7 mile trip to work, and 7 miles back home again. Most of it in stop/start traffic, or some lycra clad wally on a bicycle holding everyone up.

But at the weekend it gets an Italian tune up of at least 40 miles on the local bypass, and if a regen starts, then 99.9% of the time I try and let it complete it, even if I have to make a slight detour to get to my destination.

If I'm on a local back road when a regen starts, I make sure to try and keep the revs above 2000 rpm, regardless the speed I'm doing. I get some strange looks sometimes when I pass people with the engine screaming away, but it's the only way to clean out the soot and cobwebs.
Big Dave, I fitted a 12v LED on the heated rear window live contact, earthing it behind a bolt or screw in the same area and hung it out of the trim gap above the rear window. It illuminates when the car is doing a regen and can be seen in the rear view mirror.
Since fitting it I now know that from coming on and going off is about 7-8 Miles. I have driven around at high revs (above 2000 rpm) and cruised on the motorway in 6th gear at under 2000 rpm and irrespective of speed and rpm it still goes off between 7-8 miles.
I first discovered this on the M40 when the light came on, I noted the mileage and continued to drive at just under 70mph in 6th gear, knowing I had another 50+ miles of Motorway to go in case it need the higher revs to complete. At 7.3 miles the light went off. Numerous checks later, be it on a motorway or country lanes, the 7-8 mile limit is always the same.
My conclusion is that a DPF regen (on my 2.0 CDTI) is mileage related and not rpm or road speed related
I fitted the LED when I retired knowing that my now short journeys would result in the DPF regening more often and I could therefore make sure a regen completed. It has been fitted for over 2 years and I have studied it's on/off actions constantly since, so I am confident, on my car at least, that the regen time is mileage related and not engine or road speed related.
Would be interesting if anyone has a similar LED set up, either wired to heated mirrors or heated rear window, has found the same.
Fitting the LED was simple, remove the off side top rear window trim, connect the red 12 volt LED wire to the off side heated window terminal with a piggy back spade terminal. Connect the black wire with an eye terminal to a bolt or screw (that is already in the same area exposed by removing the trim). Tuck any spare wiring behind the trim before fitting it back and allow the led to hang out of the centre gap between the two rear window trims.

Registered
@phillips29 mine tends to regen anytime between 400 to 500 miles, and takes just over 9 miles to complete. I was contemplating fitting an LED but have got used to the engine note change and MPG increase when it does it now.

If I only drive for a short while after the end of the regen, then the next time it occurs seems to be less too. The longer I drive afterwards, increases the period until the next time.

I was told to try and make sure the RPM is above 2000, so I've always stuck to that.

I know once just after leaving Newbury and getting on the A34, the regen started, and one mile later I got stuck in heavy traffic because of an accident. So the whole time the regen was occurring, the engine was idling at 1000 rpm. Thankfully that wasn't for appox. 9 miles, but the regen went on for well over 5 minutes. The very next day, another regen occurred under normal conditions.

Registered
@Big Dave your info is very interesting, I have never bothered to note mileage between regens but would doubt if my mileage interval is as high as yours. Then again I don't do many long runs nowadays so therefore based on your info of the period of driving after a regen, that could be the reason.

I will start keeping a log of mileage intervals and distance travelled after a regen and see what patterns, if any, shows up.
Who says I am bored :giggle:

Registered
I have a 14 plate astra 2.0 cdti. After a regen finishes I reset the trip and, in normal town driving, I know that a regen is going to take place at around 300 miles. Motorway journeys bugger up my calculations, but I always let the regen finish and drive for a few minutes afterwards to let the dpf cool down. My car is on 98,000 now and the interval between regens is staying pretty much the same as when I bought it on 20,000.
I don't really see the need for the led light, as I can always tell by the higher revs at tickover when a regen is happending. We all have our own methods I guess.

Wife has the astra K 1.6 diesel and that gives no indication as to when a regen is happening. But, on hers, the fans have never kicked in when ignition is switched off, so I'm guessing it's a different system?

Registered
Good morning everyone. New to this forum and also new to being an Astra owner. I've just for rid of my trusty Peugeot 207 after 5 years.

I have a 13 plate 1.7 cdti Sri which is quite frequently actively regenerating the DPF, I do only make short trips, (I am starting to regret not getting a petrol, against advice 馃槕) and was wondering if this could be causing the almost weekly 'continue driving dpf full' warning. It has had an aborted regen the other day because I couldn't keep driving, had no time. Since checked the oil and it has risen slightly so I will be changing the oil asap. The vehicle also has a slightly uneven idle. I have also had the Service vehicle soon message, but it's not due until July. Does anybody have any suggestions on potential issues before I take it to be plugged in?

I look forward to reading your replies and thankyou for reading my post.
Did you get the SVS checked out? My local dealer checks free, in my case it was a failed pressurised glow plug which can affect DPF cycling if it is the relevant one.

Registered
@Patrick57 I have to assume that the economy setting you mention is specific to the Elite as my SRI doesn't seem to have it.
I have been getting the SVS message for sometime now. Has been checked for codes (not a Main Dealer) and none have been found. I have checked my glow plugs, all 4 are vacuum type, and No1 is open circuit. Going in for a replacement next week.

I forgot to mention that my LED illuminates on start up and does not go off until I drive off, why I dont know.

Registered
@Patrick57 I have to assume that the economy setting you mention is specific to the Elite as my SRI doesn't seem to have it.
I have been getting the SVS message for sometime now. Has been checked for codes (not a Main Dealer) and none have been found. I have checked my glow plugs, all 4 are vacuum type, and No1 is open circuit. Going in for a replacement next week.

I forgot to mention that my LED illuminates on start up and does not go off until I drive off, why I dont know.
Speedometer Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Automotive tire Tints and shades Vehicle door

This is where it shows when regen in operation as a Top Consumer.

Access is from the menu button and stalk as below.

Not sure what models have what.
Understand you need Vauxhall scanner to get the codes, I got dealer to do mine, cost was 拢150 as I have a Vx service card which discounts the cost. It was 拢135 to buy one online so paying a wee bit extra was worth it.

Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Automotive tire Tints and shades Vehicle door

Speedometer Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Registered
These type of threads amuse me,
lots of replies but the O/P apparently has zero interest and hasn't even been back or commented 鈽 鈽 鈽

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you get the SVS checked out? My local dealer checks free, in my case it was a failed pressurised glow plug which can affect DPF cycling if it is the relevant one.
Hill
These type of threads amuse me,
lots of replies but the O/P apparently has zero interest and hasn't even been back or commented 鈽 鈽 鈽
Hi Valer. Sorry. I did intend to get back to everyone, it's just taken me a lot longer than I expected, haven't done anything with the car yet. I appreciate replies, just have had a lot on but I definitely don't have zero interest. Going to work through replies.
@Patrick57 Thanks for the pictures, can confirm mine does not have that "menu".
I assume either its on later models (mines 2011) or on the higher spec vehicles.
It's good you've done your research and are fully aware of the potential issues with failed re-gens,
the SVS message is nothing to do with it needing a service though,it means there's a fault code stored,
this may be causing re-gen issues or it may be as a consequence of the failed re-gens so a code read is needed,but yes it sounds as though you have the wrong engine for your driving profile
I had never had issues with my last diesel and only doing short trips, VERY SHORT, like a mile here and a mile there, so I ignored advice to get a petrol. Maybe stupidly.

I put some Redex DPF cleaner in, which could have helped, since its been a couple weeks since getting the warning now and all seems ok..

However,

I plugged an OBD II reader in, and I have P2084 coming up. I am waiting until I have 5 days off at the end of may to get it booked in to be looked at. I'm assuming the EGT Sensor 2 is either failing, failed or needs a good old clean, contacts, wiring checked etc...

I wonder if maybe this sensor not working correctly, has affected the DPF Regens..

Thankyou everyone for your replies,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for your reply Big Dave and sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I also had strange looks whilst in 3rd and doing 50. Felt like I was abusing the car 馃き馃槕 I remember my instructor telling me years ago to keep revs at 1.5k ish so it feels unnatural to me... Is there any way of knowing a regeneration has completed successfully or not? Is it just if the light goes out it's done?

Registered
I plugged an OBD II reader in, and I have P2084 coming up. I am waiting until I have 5 days off at the end of may to get it booked in to be looked at. I'm assuming the EGT Sensor 2 is either failing, failed or needs a good old clean, contacts, wiring checked etc...
I wonder if maybe this sensor not working correctly, has affected the DPF Regens..
There was a bulletin released about the P2084 on that engine and it will affect re-gens

Cause
Investigation revealed bad contact of connector B131B "exhaust temperature sensor 2".
Also possible that bad contact is given on temperatur sensor 1.
In some specific cases DTC P0181 (same 5- volt reference circuit) is set alone as a consequential DTC of
P2080 or P2084 which did not reach the range to get set itself.

Resolution
If suspicion of bad contact is given please repair as required, otherwise replace connector of exhaust gas
temperatur sensor 1 or 2.
Also check the engine datalist for any malfunction/ deviation of the values while engine is in warm up
phase or after a soak- time (over night- time) of 8 hours.
If an unplausible deviation of the temperatur sensor has been found please replace the relevant sensor

with part- No.: 13384371/ cat.- No.: 12 87 312.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There was a bulletin released about the P2084 on that engine and it will affect re-gens

Cause
Investigation revealed bad contact of connector B131B "exhaust temperature sensor 2".
Also possible that bad contact is given on temperatur sensor 1.
In some specific cases DTC P0181 (same 5- volt reference circuit) is set alone as a consequential DTC of
P2080 or P2084 which did not reach the range to get set itself.

Resolution
If suspicion of bad contact is given please repair as required, otherwise replace connector of exhaust gas
temperatur sensor 1 or 2.
Also check the engine datalist for any malfunction/ deviation of the values while engine is in warm up
phase or after a soak- time (over night- time) of 8 hours.
If an unplausible deviation of the temperatur sensor has been found please replace the relevant sensor

with part- No.: 13384371/ cat.- No.: 12 87 312.
Oh ok. Thank you for that, would you say its something that could wait until the end of the month or would you get onto it asap?

Registered
Is there any way of knowing a regeneration has completed successfully or not? Is it just if the light goes out it's done?
Touch wood, I've never had the light come on telling me to drive the car until until it goes out.

You can normally tell if a regen is still occurring as the engine on tickover will sound different, the engine revs will be up slightly, and the fuel computer set to instant fuel consumption will be indicating 4 to 5, instead of 2.

There is a thread on here somewhere telling you how to fit an LED into the heated rear windscreen electrics to visually tell you when a regen is occurring. For some reason the rear screen comes on during a regen.

EDIT, found the LED fitting info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts