Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to book my Zaifra in for the second recall and was going to get my air con sorted and the cambelt changed at the same time.

wanted some advice regarding the air con. It hasn't worked, nor has it been looked at for the last couple of years (don't drive much). The fans work and heat comes out. Should I get an air con service done first for £59 or go for the diagnostic first (£69?). When it was at the garage some time back they said there may be a possible leak.

I don't want to pay for the service only to find out that I'd need a diagnostic. Which order would you guys recommend?

Quoted £209 for the cambelt change, does that seem about right?

Asked if they'd clean the engine bay, was quoted £130. Think I'll leave that out.

Thanks

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
As for the ac, chances are it's the condenser that's goosed, so that will prob need replaced them obv a regas, easy enough to visually inspect

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
The cambelt change for £209 doesn't include the water pump so add that cost into it. as should be replaced at the same time.

In regards to AC, It probably is the condenser as I replaced mine last summer. The job isnt too bad and I replaced it myself and kwik fit filled it up.

Ive also had the 2nd recall done on my Zafira, make sure you get the sheet to sign of its done

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the car when it was three years old and the AC wasn't working then. Is that average time for a condenser to die out?

·
Registered
5,945 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It can do.
its just the way the AC condenser sits at the front of the car, it gets hit by all the crap and spray so tends to die.
Have a look under the car at the condenser and see if the bottom is still intact

Check this thread for a guide. I used it to replace mine(same principle on the Zafira)
http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?112911-How-to-Replace-an-Astra-H-Air-Conditioning-Condenser
Thanks but I don't think I have the skill set or the confidence for a job like that lol.

may have a local garage change it. See the condenser on eurocarparts for £95. I may as well change it as the car is nearly 10 years old.

how much do you think the water pump replacement would cost at the vauxhall garage?

·
15,042 Posts
If it needs doing then it's basically the cost of the pump plus 10 minutes of labour if the belt is off already as it's just another 3 bolts.

However a lot of the later engines have the water pump on the aux belt circuit and not the timing belt one. The rationale for changing it is that the bearings in it have done the same mileage as all the rollers on the belt (tensioner and idlers) and if the bearings were to fail then it doesn't matter how new your belt is, it's gonna snap. Especially on the 1.9s, but that's another story.
However if it's not noisy and driven by the aux belt (the 1.6T is and I *think* the 1.8 VVT is) then you don't need to worry about changing it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it needs doing then it's basically the cost of the pump plus 10 minutes of labour if the belt is off already as it's just another 3 bolts.

However a lot of the later engines have the water pump on the aux belt circuit and not the timing belt one. The rationale for changing it is that the bearings in it have done the same mileage as all the rollers on the belt (tensioner and idlers) and if the bearings were to fail then it doesn't matter how new your belt is, it's gonna snap. Especially on the 1.9s, but that's another story.
However if it's not noisy and driven by the aux belt (the 1.6T is and I *think* the 1.8 VVT is) then you don't need to worry about changing it.
so when booking the cambelt change I should just ask them to have a look at the water pump to see if it needs replacing? From all the stories I hear about main dealers, they'd probably get me to change it anyway?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another thing, I find my self topping up engine oil much more regularly now. What is this a symptom of? There are no visible leaks. Never found oil under the car.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
how much are you topping up and how often? The dipstick shows 1 litre - light should come on if there is nothing showing on that - should still have about 3.5 litres in engine theoretically speaking.

My 1.8 didn't use a drop and neither does the VXR.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had the Condenser replaced and the AC re-gassed. The frost switch does not turn on. Is there anything I can check myself before booking the diagnostic?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had the cambelt and water pump done. Asked them to do a diagnostic on the sir con. They said it was working. Asked them to double check, they said it wasn't working and by that time I was already on route to collect the car.

said it might be a fuse or a relay? Where is the fuse located for the air con button? Is it behind the dash?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts