Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the bearings are noisy damage may already be done and an oil change will not be a a cure. Have not heard of ATF being used but as a preventative measure. I change the oil yearly for a Fuch product of the correct grade and overfill by one litre as this assists in lubrication of the bearings, prevention hopefully being cheaper than the cure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the reply yea you are right the bearings are beginning to groan in third and fourth ,I will have a look at the Fuch products change and see if it helps.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
If you're bearings are making noise or you've got movement in your gearstick, the damage is already done and no amount of oil will sort it.

In terms of what fluid to use (once the box is fixed properly), the common one used is Fuchs titan sintofluid 75w/80 and ran at 2.5-3 litres - although take the advice from your gearbox builder...

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I'm certain my VXR had ATF in it from new or a very early age. It has a record for some gearbox work at around 3000 miles at Vauxhall. When I came to change it, it had 3 litres of red fluid... Likely ATF.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, if your box is starting to groan, no amount of any oil will fix it...

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
You can just replace the bearings without removing the full box. Just the subframe needs to be dropped slightly and then the end case removed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks mate ,might just drop the box out to do the clutch at the same time any thoughts on changing the flywheel to solid to make it a bit more affordable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts