Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the Astra. Only bought it earlier this month.
It's a 14 year car on a 13 plate. 1.7cdti
I was driving to work the other day and when I went to overtake it suddenly dropped the power and went into limp mode with the message "service vehicle soon". I limped to work then called the RAC.
They plugged into it, and produced a code saying fuel pressure regulator. He then said could be the fuel filter. Change that first.
I limped home and changed it.
Made no difference. I was advised via YouTube to test the regulator by putting it across the battery and it should move out. It chatters but doesn't come out. I've ordered another one.
What I could do with is a wiring diagram for the engine bits. Haynes doesn't go into that detail.
Anyone have a link to one?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi I'm new to the Astra. Only bought it earlier this month.
It's a 14 year car on a 13 plate. 1.7cdti
I was driving to work the other day and when I went to overtake it suddenly dropped the power and went into limp mode with the message "service vehicle soon". I limped to work then called the RAC.
They plugged into it, and produced a code saying fuel pressure regulator. He then said could be the fuel filter. Change that first.
I limped home and changed it.
Made no difference. I was advised via YouTube to test the regulator by putting it across the battery and it should move out. It chatters but doesn't come out. I've ordered another one.
What I could do with is a wiring diagram for the engine bits. Haynes doesn't go into that detail.
Anyone have a link to one?
Possibly one of your pressurised glow plugs, they can affect your engine management control system, Suggest a second opinion from a VX dealer.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about pressure sensor glowplugs until you've checked your car actually has them fitted,it's engine dependent on the J,most of the 1.7 engines use standard plugs,with just the DTE and DTF having the sensor version.
As the RAC has code read it. the issue is much more likely to be fuel related.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't worry too much about pressure sensor glowplugs until you've checked your car actually has them fitted,it's engine dependent on the J,most of the 1.7 engines use standard plugs,with just the DTE and DTF having the sensor version.
As the RAC has code read it. the issue is much more likely to be fuel related.
What does DTE and DTF mean?
I just checked it. There doesn't appear to be a fuel supply to them.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You have various types of 1.7 engines in the J,DTE,DTF,DTL etc,etc
glowplugs are electrical heater plugsl,no fuel supply to them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand they are electrically heated.
Someone above said something about some types being pressurised. How?
Also I thought glow plugs only worked on start. My problem is when running.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You seem to be getting a bit hooked up on glowplugs,i doubt they will have anything to do with your problem,glowplugs do work at other times as well as starting,they often have an afterglow use for a while and and can be switched on to increase combustion temperature during dpf regeneration.
Patrick57 was referring to them as pressurised,as i already explained they are pressure sensor plugs,not pressurised,your car will only have sensor plugs if it is a DTE or DTF engine,
As you obviously don't know which engine you have,if you post the reg i'll check.
If the RAC's code reading was accurate you need to be looking at fuel supply,ideally you need to get a scanner on it that'll at least read fuel pressures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fantastic advice you are giving Valet.
I found something in the car documents that says ...Engine type/no A17DTS. Is that you mean? Therefore it's a DTS?
Reg is DL63NEF.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yep it checks out as a DTS,so standard glowplugs not the sensor type (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a new fuel pressure regulator on order, but I doubt I'm gonna see it for a while due to the time of year.
I would like to do some electrical checks, but the Haynes manual doesn't go into enough detail to show the fuel pressure regulator power supply.
Do you know a link to an online wiring diagram at all?

·
Registered
191 Posts
If the diagnosis was fuel pressed regulator then I'd just chamge that first as your passing in the wind chasing other problems that probably ain't there..you may have a wiring issue causing this problem but usually if its wiring its intermittent...change the regulator the see what happens..
The reason these have fault codes and diagnostic points is so that you know whats wrong g with it rather then chasing issues your ain't sure off

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, cheers guys.
I have checked for voltage at the regulator and it's good. I'm guessing the computer switches the earth on when needed. Like I said there is a new fuel pressure regulator on order.
I shall come back to you once it arrives and I replace it.
Fantastic advice here.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That fact you have good voltage is good and the new regulator should solve this issue for you..look forward to the update when you get the part fitted

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New regulator turned up finally, but it hasn't fixed it. Still the same.
Gonna book it into Vauxhall now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Replaced the regulator and it's still the same.
Got it booked in to Vauxhall on Monday now

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been into Vauxhall today. They did the "relearn procedure"and it's fine now.
I'm kind of surprised nobody knew that had to happen too.........eh well it's fixed now.
Thanks for your help everyone.,😎

1 - 19 of 19 Posts