Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any idea how I can get my fuel filler flap open? I've tried every way I can with the central locking but the flap will just not open. Feels like the solenoid hasn't released. The car is 2 months out of warranty and I suspect VX will charge a small fortune to fix it. Any idea how I can get it open as the car is getting low on fuel and I need to get some fuel in it.

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
You'll most likely have to take the boot trim out. There should be a cable release that can be accessed that way. Whilst you're in there you may well find the problem. On the H's it was that the release mechanism came off its mountings so no longer had sufficient tension to release the cap

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Just had a good search around the internet and found that on the J you have to take off the rear wheel arch lining and go up that way to the filler flap solenoid. As I don't have access to a jack or anything (especially as the bloody car din't even have a jack) looks like a trip to the dealer to spend more money (thats if I have enough fuel to get there).

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
Is it not cheaper and better in the long run to take a trip to a parts place and buy a jack?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just managed to undo half the wheel arch liner and get my hand up to pull the release pin out. Solenoid doesn't appear to be working.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The car is 2 months out of warranty and I suspect VX will charge a small fortune to fix it.
You never know. They may offer a goodwill gesture.

on the J you have to take off the rear wheel arch lining and go up that way to the filler flap solenoid. As I don't have access to a jack or anything (especially as the bloody car din't even have a jack)
Don't rely on the vehicle jack for anything other than emergencies. That's all it's designed for. Use a proper one, and remember to support the car on something like axle stands while working underneath it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You never know. They may offer a goodwill gesture.

Don't rely on the vehicle jack for anything other than emergencies. That's all it's designed for. Use a proper one, and remember to support the car on something like axle stands while working underneath it.
I never would. I managed to borrow a jack and some axle stands. In the end I managed to get enough of the lining out without having to take the wheel off.

Now I have managed to pull the release pin out so it wont lock at all at the moment but at least I can fill up the car with fuel and use it. Next job is to figure out how to remove the housing so I can look at mechanism to either free it up or replace the solenoid.
One though I did have is that on the last service my VX dealer did the fuel housing recall so I am wondering if they did something wrong then (although that was about 4 months ago).

Also when trying top get the filler to open I thought I would try using the key in the drivers door to see if that would do anything (can't see why it would but you don't know unless you try) only to find that both the keys I have for the car don't work in the drivers door, the barrel just goes round and round. Another thing to fix.

·
3,891 Posts
I bet most of us have never even tried putting the key in the door! I should probably do that just to check if it works!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts