Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Does anyone know about the front brake pads and what sort of wear indicator there is?
I'm pretty sure they need replacing as they were quite low a few months ago, and I'm starting to get a very slight squeal just as I come to a stop.
I need my car for work so need to go somewhere I can wait while they do it.
I rang Halfords auto, and they quoted £125 "including wear indictator" as though it was a separate part. Rang Kwik Fit and they said depends on the brake pad as there are different ones (despite someone else telling me they are the same price) but £80 to £100, but I've dealt with them before and just know they will try and convince me the discs need replacing as well "below the tolerance mate", but know they don't.
Rang National Tyres and Autocare and they quoted around £120, and even said that's £90 for the brake pads and £30 for the wear indicator. When I said they told me previously they would always beat Kwik Fit, so knocked 20% off and said £99 (but then they have a voucher for 20% off on their website anyway).
From what I can make out the "wear indicator" is a small metal clip which is attached to and part of the brake pads, which touches the disc when the pads get low, hence the noise I'm getting, and not a separate part. So why is National telling me £30 for wear indicator?
Can anyone tell me whether I'm correct, or perhaps on some models there is an electrical wire which attaches which illuminates a warning light on the dash, but not on mine I'm pretty sure. Not sure I trust any of these places, and even £100 seems a lot to me with pads at say £20 and half an hour labour. I'd do it myself but I've got ankylosing spondylitis and it's too much for me these days. Any thoughts?
Simon

·
Registered
303 Posts
It depends on what model you have, some cars had a 'sacrificial' pad wear indicator fitted. These need to be replaced every time the pads are worn out and replaced. These sensors can be bypassed, as a lot of people have already done.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Unless you've got a check light that comes on when you turn the ignition on, you've more than likely just got the audible warning device on your brake pads. i.e. the additional metal arm that's attached to the brake pads which touches the disks when the pads are worn..

If the garages who are quoting you aren't sure, then personally I wouldn't bother using them as they don't seem to have a clue.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The sensors were fitted to all models with a trip/check computer i.e. GSI/SRI turbo/SXI etc. You would only see a warning message on the display if the pads were low, there isn't a dash light as such. Most people just join the wires together at the wheels to bypass the system anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts