Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals i really need some help. Last winter in the really cold weather my handbrake kept freezing on. Ive heard its a common problem on vauxhalls? What can i do to the handbrake to stop this from happining this winter?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
its the cable that freezes, there is a rubber bush where bowden cable splits to reveal the cable in the centre that cracks and allows water in, you can fix it by replacing the entire handbrake cable

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I was told last winter to leave handbrake of and leave in gear so tried it and car still rolls even on the slightest of slopes. What's that all about? This could be another problem :sus:

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I bet that roll you feel when you leave it in gear is just the slack being taken up. It would move slightly but it shouldnt move any more than say 10cm max.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
yeah, the car should roll a bit until the slack is taken up in the engine as you are effectively turning the engine with the wheels rather than the other way round. im lucky that my driveway is dead flat, so when i remember, i just leave it off

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is quite worrying now. What I remember last winter was in my works carpark I tried it and it just kept going certainly more than 10cm. I will try this tomorrow again.

Once again cheers for the help so far

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
its the cable that freezes, there is a rubber bush where bowden cable splits to reveal the cable in the centre that cracks and allows water in, you can fix it by replacing the entire handbrake cable
Yes , yes and once you have changed the cable , you then coat the outside cable where the water gets in with , axel grease. .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts