Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having read about the heated rear window/mirrors being switched on by stealth when the DPF was regenerating on various Vauxhall models (including the J) to load the engine. The articles suggested fitting an LED to the mirror feed but, on the J this meant removing the door card to access the feed wire.

Because I do a lot of short journeys and have been delayed by the “keep driving” message on more than one occasion I decided to fit one and see what happens.

Instead of using the mirror feed I used the heated rear window feed and after 5 days of looking in my rear view mirror, it works.

It was very simple to fit and a lot less hassle than removing a door trim.

I bought a 9-12v red LED with cap (constant, not flashing) from E bay £1.19. I pulled back the driver side top tailgate window trim giving me access to the heated window live feed, down the side post. Fitted a piggyback push on terminal to the red LED wire, remove the feed wire from the window terminal, pushed the piggyback terminal onto the window connection and refitted the feed wire onto the piggyback terminal. The black wire from the LED was fitted with a crimp eyelet terminal and secured underneath one of the 10mm bolts near the centre of the tailgate behind the trim (high level brake light bolt??). The wiring was secured, to stop chaffing, to the tailgate body with heavy duty tape and the led (at the moment) is protruding from the trim joint, centre top of the tailgate facing forward. It only needs a glance in the mirror to see if it’s illuminated.

I have noticed it will occasionally come on for a short period when starting and goes off as you drive away but last night it came on and was on for several miles so I assume it was regenerating. Yes the light does come on when the heated window is switched on and that is why I got the smallest LED available so it does not distract me when the heated rear window on.

Now I know it works will find a better way to fit the LED but as small as it is cannot be seen from outside and doesn’t look too bad from the inside that’s not a major issue. At least now I can choose when to allow a regen rather than it getting the dreaded “keep driving” message as a last resort.

Hope this is useful to others.

·
Administrator
3,920 Posts
Nice idea - fitting it at the back does make it much easier to fit! Did you take any pictures of the installation process to show where to connect to etc?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice idea - fitting it at the back does make it much easier to fit! Did you take any pictures of the installation process to show where to connect to etc?
I didn't as it was so simple and straight forward to do also I wasn't convinced it was going to work.
I will take a couple of pictures of the LED position etc and see if I can get them on here.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I keep meaning to fit an LED to my 2.0CDTi ,but so far I don't think I've missed it doing a regen.

The engine note changes to a deeper sound, the instant fuel consumption increases, and general performance is slightly down too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep meaning to fit an LED to my 2.0CDTi ,but so far I don't think I've missed it doing a regen.

The engine note changes to a deeper sound, the instant fuel consumption increases, and general performance is slightly down too.
I must be missing something as I have never know when my was doing a regen.
I took some pictures yesterday of it in the rear view mirror, that was a waste of time! Each picture had 3 rear windows one above the other, must be due to the construction of the mirror.
Will try again tomorrow.

·
Administrator
3,920 Posts
Is it the kind of mirror that you tilt to get a darkened view when someone behind is dazzling you? If so, and if you use flash on the camera, then it's probably managing to get light through both angles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better late than never, here are the pictures I promised, sorry forgot all about doing them.
Fingers behind the drivers side tailgate window trim in the middle and pull towards you. Unscrew the parcel pivot post to get access to the feed wire to the screen, remove terminal from window and fit a piggyback connector and then refit screen feed wire and the red power wire from the LED. to it. Remove nut from tailgate stud as per picture 2, fit male spade connector to the stud and refit nut (test for good earth). Fit black/earth wire from LED to this with spade connector, tidy up wires position LED and refit trim and parcel shelf post. To test start the car, it illuminates on every start and goes off when you drive away.
Sleeve Textile Rectangle Wood Grey

Yes I could have fitted it better but does its job.
Hood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas Vehicle door

Fitted male spade terminal to this bolt for LED earth.
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Trunk Automotive mirror

LED power pickup from widow feed.
Window Building Automotive lighting Plant Motor vehicle

View of LED when lit, from driver rear view mirror, I never fail to notice a regen now.

·
Administrator
3,920 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: phillips29
1 - 8 of 8 Posts