Astra Owners Network banner

First time car owner!

355 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  sebtaco 
#1 ·
Thought I'd just post to say that I've recently found this site.

I've recently bought my first car, and 100% certain I wanted a Vauxhall. At first I was after a corsa, but preferred the old shape. My budget increased so then naturally, I started looking at various different models but with it being my first car I wanted something that wasn't too big but also something substantial as I don't plan on ragging it round for a year and then P/X'ing.

Ended up going for an Astra 1.4 Active in Black. I didn't think I'd ever love an inanimate object so much!!

Not passed yet, but got my test in 3 weeks (fingers crossed), so sorted my insurance last night and went driving today with the mother. I'm currently learning to drive in a **** Fiesta 1.5 Diesel, and I've noticed since my first drive in my Astra today that the biting point is much lower on the Astra, is that due to the fact that it's a petrol engine rather than a diesel ??

Anyway, I'm Seb, 23, work in a transport office and know barely anything about cars :'D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks man!
Yeah took a bit of searching, but wanted something that will last. Just over 85,000miles, 1 owner from new, no fails, 5 advisories all sorted within the year, recently had a cam belt change and a full Vauxhall service history. Feel like I hit the jackpot! [emoji16]

#11 ·
Once you get used to the clutch you'll be able to drive off without much effort, like most things it comes down to experience, the driving test will always tell you to give it some throttle when pulling off to stop stalling but once your out on the road on your own you'll find you'll need very little if any throttle input to get the car moving steadily unless on a steep incline but even then can be done ((Y)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Thanks @Stevie

Yeah I went out agin yesterday for a couple of hours and definitely felt more relaxed than the first drive in it. Only stalled it twice! [emoji23] frustrating because I don't ever stall in the Diesel and never had an issue! Just going to take practice I guess!

Thanks man (Y)

#13 ·
Diesels are excellent for learners as they are definatly harder to stall, I passed my test in a corsa b 1.5td, jumped in my nova 1.3 Sr the next day and kept stalling it ..... yes showing my age with the cars mentioned.
You will get there it's just practice.

#14 ·
Yeah I've gotta say I'm glad I'm taking my test in the Diesel despite what it is. Done almost 100 miles in my Astra so far and it's definitely making me feel more confident on the road anyway. Fingers crossed for the 1st everyone :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.