Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just got a sapphire black SXI and I really want to get a high gloss finish on it. normally I just wash my cars with shampoo then wax it. But I have notices some fine scratches on it and looking at the pictures of black Astra on the forum I would like to speand some time on mine getting it to look like these.

I have been given an electric car polisher but was wondering about what to use and how to do it. I have seen posts regarding Snow Foam, Clay and differant polishes and sealers but was wondering what you would recommend to a complete novice?

Thanks
Phil

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Do what I did on here, read up as much as you can on here about how you use clay etc and then start from there.

As for polishes/sealents etc everyone has their own favorites just look for the finish you'd like and price up the products that were used.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I will carry on reading the post here. Can anyone recomment a good place to get these things from?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
first things first if you rlooking at using a polisher what one is it and have you used one before as a scrap panel might not be a bad idea.

do you need the whole kit or just bits as once its correected you need to know how to maintain the finish whilst minimal.

2 buckets - b&q
wash mitt/sponge (grout sponge or zymol sponge)- cleanyourcar.com
drying towel decent one- cleanyourcar.com
dodo lime prime by machine or hand - cleanyourcar.com
if by hand then Ag Super resin polish - halfrauds
chemical guys ez creme - cleanyourcar.com
dodo purple haze or if you can push to it dodo supernatural though now winters comin u might wana think about coli and leave the dodo till spring/summer- cleanyourcar.com

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Alan
All I have at the moment is some cheap shampoo, wax and a bucket. The sponge has been binned.

The polisher is a Halfords 240v
what I would like is a complete starters kit something easy to use but would give me the finnish I am looking for.

the main problem is scratches and swirls.

Phil

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
to be honest the polisher wont be able to remove defects such as swirls etc you would need a proper da or rotary for that,

whole kit would be

1.3 buckets 1 wheels 2 clear
2.wash mitt
3.drying towel
4.chemical guys shampoo
5.microfibres
6.sponge can be used on wheels or get a set of detailing brushes of ebay
7.window cleaner
8.hose/watering can open ended to sheet the water of the panels
9.clay (if claying its wash, clay, wash then dry which only needs to be done twice a year)
10.then Autoglym Super resin polish to mask swirls but ths will only do that no correction will be performed.
11.ez creme glaze 2 coats
12. sealant if preferred
13.wax of your choice 3 thin coats spaced 48 hours apart using foam aplicator pads
14. dodo red mist for top ups (dont use directly after laying a wax down

its a mixture of Halfrauds for Autoglym SRP and window cleaner, B&q for buckets and the rest from cleanyourcar.com

probably missed some bits but thats the main jist

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to be honest the polisher wont be able to remove defects such as swirls etc you would need a proper da or rotary for that,

whole kit would be

1.3 buckets 1 wheels 2 clear
2.wash mitt
3.drying towel
4.chemical guys shampoo
5.microfibres
6.sponge can be used on wheels or get a set of detailing brushes of ebay
7.window cleaner
8.hose/watering can open ended to sheet the water of the panels
9.clay (if claying its wash, clay, wash then dry which only needs to be done twice a year)
10.then Autoglym Super resin polish to mask swirls but ths will only do that no correction will be performed.
11.ez creme glaze 2 coats
12. sealant if preferred
13.wax of your choice 3 thin coats spaced 48 hours apart using foam aplicator pads
14. dodo red mist for top ups (dont use directly after laying a wax down

its a mixture of Halfrauds for Autoglym SRP and window cleaner, B&q for buckets and the rest from cleanyourcar.com

probably missed some bits but thats the main jist

Hi Alan

what polisher would you recommend? I can get the other bits and pieces over the coming weeks but the polisher I'm not sure about.

Phil

·
Registered
5,597 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the links. just need to read up about techniques now(Y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts