Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically i've never posted in a forum in my entire life!
I have a 1.4 Astra Sport Hatch in red.
It's my first year of driving so thinking about insurance yadda yadda!
I want it lowering, wheels powder coating black and windows tinting, my budget is tight so it needs to be done properly to last but cheap also!
Would love to swap my 16" Breeze Plus alloys for a set of 16" Sxi ones..

I'm sure I'll get into the swing of things and over the next year or so you guys can help me make my car beautiful!

-Matt

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,717 Posts
welcome to AON.

As its your first car, and am guessing insurance wasn't cheap? I would probably try and stay away from the performance or handling mods as some mainstream insurance companies tend to rub there hands together when a new driver adds them to the car, but small things like new wheels, especially if your going with OEM vauxhall ones shouldn't be a problem, as is the tinting.

One thing I will say however, and goes with most things, you get what you pay for, especially with lowering kits and especially coilovers, if you can't afford it now, put money aside for when you can afford the better stuff, it will pay off in the long run, for some simple lowering you can use the eibach springs, depending on the kit you can lower it 30mm all round or 50mm on the front and 30 on the back, can be used with the std shocks as well, but most uprate them to VXR shocks, or if you want the best lowering spring combination, Blistien shocks with either eibachs or dap springs, then you have the coil overs.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Welcome to AON :wave: from a fellow Yorkshire woman :lol:

Where abouts in the region are you from?

If you keep an eye on the Yorkshire section of the forum you will be able to see any info on meets we are having should u want to come and join in the banter :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone!
Would lowering my car beef up my insurance by a hell of alot?
It's actually my second car as i've just completed my first year of driving but had a 56 Hyundai Getz 1.1 GSi (The missus liked it)
After seeing the error of my ways and how ugly the thing was I decided it was time for a change and to get a car that I liked.
Powder coating the wheels is my first job, shopped around and found £1 an inch or £1.50 for a lacquered finish.
Then tints. Then lowered. Then maybe a less tinny exhaust.

I'm from Halifax/Huddersfield but would be up for some local meets, you can put me to shame with your VXR's!

-Matt

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
HaHa none of the regular Yorkshire lot have VXRs hun so you will be perfectly fine were mainly dirty diesel owners :lol:
A few of the less regular ones have them though.

For tints I can highly recommend expression automotive in Shipley, we did a meet there a few weeks ago and got 5 cars done by them, great set of lads and the work is top notch, also if you mention your on here they will knock u 10% off the price!

When is ur insurance renewal? or has it already been?
A few insurers on here don't charge for modding unless its an engine mod, but a few other insurers also aren't as bad as people think.
Maybe give yours a ring and ask them what the effect would be before carrying out the mod :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A lad at work used to do vinyls and tints for a living so said to give him £40 plus buy the stuff from ebay.
I don't know if that's a good deal or not as i'm new to this.
There isn't much window to tint on the Sport Hatch or does it not work like that?
I've literally just renewed. It dropped by half and I didn't have to pay a deposit. Plus I haggled for an hour and got a load of extras thrown in cheap!
If and when I do carry out performance altering mods i'll give them a ring first. See if it's worth it.
If not I can save up for a year, buy the parts and get it all done in one go with a cheaper insurer!

-Matt

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
when you renew id give Adrian flux a ring there really good with modified motors and will give you a discount if you mention your from AON

1 - 20 of 29 Posts