Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv got some dents on my rear wheel arch that need filling and spraying, is it worth getting a full professional job done or could i fill it and sand it myself ready for someone to spray it?? iv been quoted about £200 for it all but any way of dropping the price would be brilliant.

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
If you are handy with the components needed to do the job then go for it,

Personally I don't think I would have the balls to take a sanding block to my car

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, I would always be inclined to get a professional to do it for me and pay the premium for it as I would kick my self if I messed it up.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I live next to a body repair garage and i'm always chatting to the owner whilst he's working. If i was you i would take it and get it done professionally. I've seen cars come into his garage that have had bodge jobs done to them ready for spraying and he's had to start again cause their not prepared correctly. If your confident enough to do it yourself then go for it but the preparation is key to getting a good final result.

Also when it comes to painting a professional sprayer will get an almost identical colour match and get it looking like new.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I did this at college for a while as an apprentice for nearly 6 months, and it isnt an easy job, even to remove a small dent you have to remove a hell of a lot of surrounding paint. Sanding the filler to match the shape of the car, not to mention getting so its as smooth as the metal its applied to, takes a lot of skill or it just looks w**k. I still wouldnt do this to my own car even having had a small amount of experience of doing it. Then theres the spraying which is a skill in itself, fork out the £200 quid is my advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
£200 might seem an awful lot now, but imagine if you tried it yourself and paid for all the things needed and then had to get a pro to go back over it as you hadn't done a sound job? That would cost you even more in the long run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts