Astra Owners Network banner

Fault codes 0340 and 0500 Crank sensor and speed senor malfunctions

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Andy77 
#1 ·
as above.

I can replace the sensors no problem if needed but before i go buying a hub and camshaft sensor, i was wondering if there is any other reason why these would fail together are they linked somehow. For example an ECU Fault (cant rule that out either) Or if anyone has had this and it was something other than just needing new sensors please feel free to add input.

all suggestions welcome.

#2 ·
Just gonna go with trying to clean and replace first. The more i dig in to this the more i think it's just knackered sensors. As over the last year a few others have died. Which considering the age of the car (02) and still on original sensors it's not bad. Start with the cheap and easy first, but i'll keep you informed if it's something else causeing this

#6 · (Edited)
P0340 is Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0500 is Vehicle Speed Sensor

Got to be near the camshaft as its saying its a circuit malfunction.... without knowing how the ECU uses the info from the camshaft position sensor circuit

and whether it would have a link with the speed sensor I cant tell you whether the speed sensor is a sub-effect?

I should think not, as the camshaft (which has a circuit malfunction) can run without vehicle speed and isnt on the same electrical fork?

But is there a dependency the other way around... where the speed sensor uses info from the camshaft position sensor circuit?

#7 ·
Thats is the million dollar question, the parts have been ordered so when they arrive i'll replace the camshaft sensor first and see if the speedo still acts up, if it does that would point to them being seperate entities and not being linked in anyway.

#8 ·
im sure theres a testing procedure for those.... without ordering brand new parts, as it may be something within the circuits .e.g. wireing, fuses, positioning etc.

got to remember OBD codes arent always the 'most advanced' or descriptive readings in the world? (provided the ECU is giving correct ones)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.