Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I bought a 2007 1.7 CDTi Astravan recently which has done about 142K with no faults shown on my reader when I bought the van.

First thing I did was take it for a cam belt change. Everything was fine after that.

A few days later, I changed the air filter, putting in a cheap Comline filter. When changing it, I disconnected the airflow meter and forgot to reconnect it when I started her up. There didn't seem to be any damage done to it and I reconnected it soon after.

Pretty sure it was not long after changing the filter that I noticed the amber car/spanner light come on on the dashboard. So I plugged in my reader which said there was a pending fault code P0234 - "Turbocharger / Supercharger Overboost Condition".

I thought maybe this was because I'd used a cheap filter (that, incidentally, didn't have the extra layer of white material on the underside of the filter that the old one had). So I bought a Bosch air filter (that did have the extra layer of material on its underside) hoping that would make the fault go away.

So I erased the fault and went for a drive, but the fault came back - this time it starts as a pending fault and ends up as a full fault.

It seems to come on when I'm putting my foot down, usually around 60mph and/or when the revs are between 2,500 and 3,000.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
If you read the code it’ll have an A or B after it to say whether it’s under boost or over boost, generally it’s the boost control that causes it, tho age take its toll on the hoses for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yep,i agree Davo,
check vac hoses first and boost solenoid is often the problem but i've done a few that turned out to be sticking vnt vanes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't notice an A or a B with the fault code, but I'll check again next time I'm out in the van.

Can you tell me where I can find the vac hoses and boost solenoid? And what are the vnt vanes?

Also, is it just coincidence that this seemed to happen right after I (imperfectly) changed the air filter?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It won't be to do with the air filter,i've used either type on 1.7's over the years without issue,
the boost solenoid is down the back of the engine half way up the block,accessed from under the car,
you'll find vac hoses coming to and from the solenoid and running round the engine to various parts including the turbo,inlet flaps,vacuum pump etc
VNT is the variable nozzle turbo,the vanes get stuck with carbon,google it,loads of info out there,including you tube.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. My P0234 code is accompanied with a "G" (not an "A" or "B"), so does that mean overboost, underboost or something else?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
There are just the 2 options on the P0234
-5A Boost Pressure Control Circuit Negative Deviation
-5B Boost Pressure Control Circuit Positive Deviation
not sure where your reader is getting the "g" from but if the code description is correct in your first post then it's overboost

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, cheers.

Is this the boost solenoid, highlighted in my photo?

If so, which bit is the part number? (On the underside of that part, it says >PA6.6 GF35< but I can't find any Vauxhall parts with that part number.)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I use zap7, it’s similar to what the parts dept use, some part numbers are out of date tho and supersede

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tried the new solenoid today, but it hasn't solved the problem.

Will check out the hoses and VNT vanes next.

I read in my Haynes manual that if I'm taking off the turbocharger, I should replace these parts:
  • Turbocharger-manifold gasket,
  • Turbocharger-catalytic converter gasket,
: Turbocharger-to-manifold retaining nuts.

Would that be strictly necessary (as I'm running out of time and money) or might I get away with using the existing gaskets and nuts?

Also, I didn't mention before, but my van had a cam belt change done not long before this problem arose. Could my P0234 problem be related to that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think I may have found the problem.

I was tracing the hoses from the new solenoid (part #98105657) and saw that one went to another nearby solenoid (a Pierburg PA6-GF30) which is apparently a TURBO VACUUM BOOST CONTROL VALVE SOLENOID.

So I pulled the hose off this other solenoid, but it pulled the metal end of solenoid off.

Am thinking/hoping that there was an air leak here and that's why I was getting the over boost condition. Would that explain it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, can anyone tell me what the alternative/modern equivalent part number is for a Pierburg PA6-GF30?

Have looked on a zap7 website but not having any luck.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the photos of my current one.

I've circled the Pierburg PA6-GF30 in red and the yellow arrow points to the bit that broke off / came away.

The other photos show how it was already damaged. You can see how the plastic housing is all cracked at the dodgy end.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Looks as though you've found the problem,I'm fairly sure it's p/number 97288249

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers, valer.

Yeah, that looks like it. Many thanks for finding. My two local motor factors couldn't find it at all, so you could have saved the day there!

Am picking the part up later this aft, so hopefully that will do it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've fitted the new TURBO VACUUM BOOST CONTROL VALVE SOLENOID and went for a test drive. The first run up the road was fine, but then the problem came back on subsequent runs... :-/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can anyone advise if my van is safe to drive at the moment? Currently, the P0234 I'm getting is "pending" and goes off for a few seconds. It seems to stay away if I stay under 2,000 revs, but haven't done any motorway miles yet.

Was planning doing 100 miles tomorrow, but not sure what the chances of something going wrong is?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts