1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,
So as it says thats my problem
I have 2002 Opel Astra Coupe Convertible . 1.8 Manual

About 2 years ago the ecu started acting up wouldn't start when hot or would start and then would stop ,
I got a 2nd hand ECU chip and transponder and replaced em myself quick fix worked perfect car started and ran with no issues.
the same day I replaced the temp sensor module as my temp was reading nothing on the dash again that worked temp works now .
However my fans no longer kick in when ran up to temp I thought it was a fan issue so replaced the fan with one from the exact same model I had that was working and tested before fitting it . and Again it does not kick in when ran up to temp . When im driving its fine air flow over it when im in traffic i stick the heaters on its no problem i live in ireland so always cold..

So I heard a few issues from others on this , some said if the car the ECU was taken from had Air con it would stop the fans from kicking in ,
I managed to get in touch with the person I got the ECU and transponder from and she said yeah it had air con, So my question is this....
Should I get a parts matching ECU and transponder and chip or should i bring it to someone with an OBD reader and see if they can reprogramme it ,
I rang my local Opel dealer and they said they would not do that , ( I like my receipts from opel ) lol

But for the moment its literally the only thing that doesn't work on my Astra coupe its been literally minded like a baby for the last 7 years Ive had it with no faults apart from the ECU and this fan issue . so looking for some advice from my fellow owners as I want to keep it for another few years it might be an expensive classic some day like the manta lol

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
You should be able to change the variant coding in the ECM with opcom,
long time since i did one now and i can't remember if you'll need to enter the security code to allow access,
do you have the code for the replacement ecm you fitted ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont im afraid she just pulled it out of her cabby and posted it to me ,
I might look out for one breaking same model as mine no air con no traction control 2002 1.8xe and see if I swap it out will it work only takes about 20 mines to take it all apart.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If you know someone with opcom it's a couple of minutes just to try a variant code change,
i seem to remember you don't need the sec code but not 100% on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know if you got your fan problem sorted, but here's my experience. Some Astra G's have a fan control module and some have 3 relays for slow, medium and fast. Lots of folk say that cars with air con have a control module and others have relays, but we have 3 astras (2002 and 2003) with air con and all three are the relay controlled type which are switched by the ecu. If you have relays they are in a black box to the right of the battery, a fan control unit would be found under washer bottle which is under the left hand wing. I think you will need an ecu from a car that had the same method of fan control as your own. On a relay controlled car, relay 1 (slow) kicks in at 99deg, relay 2 (medium) at 102 deg and relay 1,2 & 3 (fast) at 105 deg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts