Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Opel Astra J GTC 2.0 Sri 165 2012
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use a compressor to pump brake fluid into a caliper on a workbench.
I want to see why it is not retracting fully.
I have a wash bottle accessory for the compressor which i might be able to use as a brake fluid reservoir.
I need a fitting to connect a hose to the banjo bolt hole.
What size is the thread for the banjo bolt? i can not find a fitting in the compressor or hydraulic stores
Then i need to connect the other end of the hose to the compressor reservoir. The Reservoir is from Aldi-Workzone, it has a very fine thread about 1/2".

Any ideas for the challenge ??

·
Registered
Opel Astra J GTC 2.0 Sri 165 2012
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the old caliper I removed. I replaced it with a remanufactured caliper. But I still have the same problem with the new caliper, the disc is sticking when the brake is not applied.
I am just using this old caliper to learn how to rebuild a caliper myself.

Do you have ideas as to why two calipers would have the same problem in the same rear wheel of my car? It’s something outside of the caliper I think that’s causing the piston to not retract enough, but what?

·
Registered
10 Posts
When we picked up my wife's Astra from Macclesfield Vauxhall, 35k 11 plate 1.6 auto. They had fitted new discs and pads as part of the pre-delivery inspection.
Within about 18 miles the drivers side was sticking, and eventually there was lots of smoke, from an overheated pad.
They took it back and after investigation said the the pad that was fitted, had a manufacturing fault, a burr that was stoking it slidding.
Just over a year later on a stop start journey that involved lots of traffic lights, it did it again.
When I got it apart I put a file to the pads.
My guess is pads and or caliper are manufactured at extremes of temp.

·
Registered
710 Posts
its 10yrs old now so thats roughly when you start to get age related stuff like this id strip them both take out sliders and clean regrease and put new pads on it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts