Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the site, I have a Astra 2003, 2L turbo coupe, Z20LET

I need a new cat and down pipe but every parts dealer on the web doesn't list parts for my vehicle, the ones that do, say that the parts are illegal to be sold to vehicles registered on or after 1/03/01.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if someone knows the part number I need that would be great

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think they mean the ones they supply are not type approved ie manufactured for vehicles before 1/03/01, my 01 coupe turbo can be fitted with one as it was manufactured before that date, whether it would pass the emissions test or not if fitted to a later vehicle i couldn't say, a new genuine Vauxhall cat is around £700 or more now and cheap pattern cats will only pass one or two mot's according to my mot tester mate so a bigger bore stainless (possible remap needed) or secondhand genuine VX seem to be two possible alternatives, speak to Chris at Hi & Welcome to CS AUTOS,we are a Performance Vauxhall Breaker based in the North West (performance Vauxhall breaker) he should be able to sort you out with either, i've bought a few bits off of him now and he's got a good reputation for supplying quality parts at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think they mean the ones they supply are not type approved ie manufactured for vehicles before 1/03/01, my 01 coupe turbo can be fitted with one as it was manufactured before that date, whether it would pass the emissions test or not if fitted to a later vehicle i couldn't say, a new genuine Vauxhall cat is around £700 or more now and cheap pattern cats will only pass one or two mot's according to my mot tester mate so a bigger bore stainless (possible remap needed) or secondhand genuine VX seem to be two possible alternatives.
Yep, pretty much what the implied. Thank you for this, an additional problem is that the cats I have seen don't have the downpipe on them, and my cat is a complete cat and downpipe, so then I need to find a compatible downpipe as well. I'll have a look at the link you posted when I get a chance, I work nights and have 2 young kids, don't get enough time to do the amount of research I need to, (but wouldn't change it for the world).

·
Registered
223 Posts
The earlier versions had the one piece cat and downpipe which mine had, the later versions and the performance stainless steel versions were all two piece iirc.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you get desperate you can get it delivered to me and collect the next time you come across on the ferry, i'm just the other side of Portsmouth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The earlier versions had the one piece cat and downpipe which mine had, the later versions and the performance stainless steel versions were all two piece iirc.
That's what seems to be confusing me as well the downpipe on my vehicle doesn't look like any of the ones online (see image bellow, not my actual one, this pic is from the web) It has GM51 stamped on it and it is welded to the cat pipe, no connection or gasket or anything, from what I can tell this is from a VX220 but its been welded to the cat and the connection plate and bolts aren't there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you get desperate you can get it delivered to me and collect the next time you come across on the ferry, i'm just the other side of Portsmouth.
You Sir are a star, I will give him a call at some point, (I should be asleep right now, just finished a night shift and need to be up to get the kids from school in 5 hours), but I may have to take you up on your offer, I'll let you know if I do. Thank you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've got a standard pre cat in the garage but can't remember if its the same as that or not, i believe all the MK4 2 litre turbos share the same pre cat/cat whether single or two piece and also possibly the MK5 VXR fits but the centre and rear box are Coupe specific iirc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Managed to contact him, unfortunately he said that cats are worth more a scrape metal than resale, but I have managed to find a part on online automotive, had to speak to one of their team, but they have confirmed the correct part.

Thank you all for your help guys, much appreciated :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just be aware if its a cheap pattern cat then you'll only get one maybe two years of mot's out of it (unless you have a friendly mot man) but i don't suppose that's terrible all things considered.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts