Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Can anybody help with a tricky problem with daughters 1996 Vauxhall Astra 1.8i design. Every week or so the car will stall at a junction and then when turning the key to restart the engine it just clicks, the starer motor does not turn the engine so she is stranded, but after leaving it alone for 5 or 10 minutes the starter motor then turns and starts the engine.
I have replaced the battery and it was OK foe 3 weeks but the problem has returned, but more frequently. There are no warning lights on the dashboard when the car is running 1
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !
Regards
bobt

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
My first thought when you said the starter motor was clicking suggested to me battery...

So where you've then said you've replaced the battery and then 3 weeks later the issue has returned, then that points me to thinking it'll be the alternator has failed. As there is power in the battery, it'll start, but then when you're driving, the alternator is either not charging the battery enough, or it is not charging the battery full stop, meaning that when you're starting it, you're reducing the power in the battery to the point where it eventually goes flat.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
You say same junction - does car basically only do same journey all the time?

Get the feeling its just a warm issue... Does it struggle to hold revs when idling once it warms up hence the stall? Also then its a warm start issue.

If its anything like mine when it had the issue it may be crank sensor - but i'll check on common-ness of that part for your engine later.

Also, have you checked the breathers are clear & free from damage? they have a tendancy to cause issue on the 1.8

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My first thought when you said the starter motor was clicking suggested to me battery...

So where you've then said you've replaced the battery and then 3 weeks later the issue has returned, then that points me to thinking it'll be the alternator has failed. As there is power in the battery, it'll start, but then when you're driving, the alternator is either not charging the battery enough, or it is not charging the battery full stop, meaning that when you're starting it, you're reducing the power in the battery to the point where it eventually goes flat.

^^ thats what I was thinking.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
1996 astra h...? Ok...

Any way, i would say a grounding issue. When the temperature rises it slows the current down and it stalls as the battery is too low but cooling allows the electricity to return... If that makes sense..? Or it is even possible? Try a new ground wire for the battery and altenator which is only about a fifer for thicker cable and a couble connectors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Again
Just a shot in the dark but could the issue of not turning the engine be a problem with the immobilser or the chip in the key. What does the immobiliser do, does it stop the starter from turning the engine or stop the engine from firing ?
Regards
bobt

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
well, if it is an H, id do the pedal test first

if the battery is going flat to the point of stalling the engine, you would have other problems first like dashboard not working, and a 10 minute rest wouldnt be enough for it to recover to start the car and drive off again

it does sound like a warm issue and at idle it cant maintain the revs due to a faulty sensor

if it was the immobiliser, the car and spanner light should be flashing during the failed attempts to start

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello again
Sorry for the duff info, the car is a 2006 not 1996, I think that is an H ! Blink could you please tell me whats involved in the pedal test and how I go about doing it !
Regards
bobt

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
press the brake and accelerator pedal fully, turn the ignition on but dont start the engine, keep the pedals pressed, if there are any engine codes, they will appear in the mileometer display and cycle through

1 - 9 of 9 Posts