Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an astra h 2008 1.8 automatic, Car won`t start but turns over, if I spray brake cleaner down the air intake I can get it to start, I then need to hold the revs for a minute to stop it cutting out but once this is done it runs fine and I can drive to work with no issues. Once engine has warmed up I can turn engine off and will start again ok but when I come out of work at end of shift I have to perform the same ritual of spraying brake cleaner to get it started. I have changed the plugs, changed the battery, had the starter motor off and powered it up off the car and works ok, Checked the fuel pressure from the bleed valve and all seems ok. Can hear the fuel pump when I turn ignition on so believe this is ok. I have no faults on dash. Any help with solving this would be gratefully appreciated. Not sure if its related but the fan has started coming on and staying on even when its -3 degrees outside.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Your engine temp sensor maybe faulty and your engine ecu is not aware the engine requires a cold start and is under fueling
Try and get the hidden menu up and view the engine temp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your engine temp sensor maybe faulty and your engine ecu is not aware the engine requires a cold start and is under fueling
Try and get the hidden menu up and view the engine temp.
Got the hidden menu up and engine temperature was reading 114 even though I had not started the car so think your probably right with sensor, will look at replacing it tomorrow, cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try unplugging maf and see if it starts?

also worth reading live data to see what ur ecu is seeing - eg that of coolant temperature etc / pedal test to see if any codes are stored

crankshaft sensor is also common. Like this car:
. TUrns over but doesnt start

this may also help: [Zafira B] [05---] - Z18XER 1.8 cranks for 15 seconds...
Unplugged the maf but change, engine temp is reading 114 when its not even running

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the hidden menu up and engine temperature was reading 114 even though I had not started the car so think your probably right with sensor, will look at replacing it tomorrow, cheers.
Replaced temperature sensor and car now starting fine, thank you all for your help it has been much appreciated

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi, I have an astra h 2008 1.8 automatic, Car won`t start but turns over, if I spray brake cleaner down the air intake I can get it to start, I then need to hold the revs for a minute to stop it cutting out but once this is done it runs fine and I can drive to work with no issues. Once engine has warmed up I can turn engine off and will start again ok but when I come out of work at end of shift I have to perform the same ritual of spraying brake cleaner to get it started. I have changed the plugs, changed the battery, had the starter motor off and powered it up off the car and works ok, Checked the fuel pressure from the bleed valve and all seems ok. Can hear the fuel pump when I turn ignition on so believe this is ok. I have no faults on dash. Any help with solving this would be gratefully appreciated. Not sure if its related but the fan has started coming on and staying on even when its -3 degrees outside.
** Deleted, i see you fixed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts