Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so my wife ( get that in early lol ) called me today to say the battery light come on in my Astra 1.9 150 , and the engine smelt hot , when she got home I could see the Coolant going around ok I took the cap off and it didn't have hardly any pressure considering it was hot , looked at the hidden menu and it said my coolant was 90 degrees , but ... No cooling fan kicked in when I left it idle for 10 mins or so .... Have I answered my own question lol

·
15,042 Posts
Hi so my wife ( get that in early lol ) called me today to say the battery light come on in my Astra 1.9 150 , and the engine smelt hot , when she got home I could see the Coolant going around ok I took the cap off and it didn't have hardly any pressure considering it was hot , looked at the hidden menu and it said my coolant was 90 degrees , but ... No cooling fan kicked in when I left it idle for 10 mins or so .... Have I answered my own question lol
I'd check the alternator output but they don't reject too much heat on idle so you'd have to load it to really get the fan to cut in so you might have escaped a boiled engine. Normally the only cooling issue is the pump fails and takes the belt with it on those so if it's running you're probably ok.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my Mrs just told me that a few weeks ago while she had the aircon on , the battery light come on and the car felt like it had no power , she turned the ac off and it was fine after that .... Jesus ....

·
15,042 Posts
So it could be a sticky a/c clutch putting extra load on the engine driving the belt. You should be able to test that easy enough by getting someone to turn the a/c on and off while you watch the belt. You can do a gross check of the alternator with a voltmeter across the battery while it's running. In fact you might even find the system voltage in the test menu. Should be 14 ish with the engine running.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol ..... It's 12 .... Another alternator it is then lol , there goes the skin on my knuckles then ����

1 - 8 of 8 Posts