Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
Hopefully posting this question in the right place, otherwise, admin feel free to move it.
I recently purchased a 2nd hand 2013 Astra Estate SRI 165.

Absolutely love the car but yesterday after dropping the child off at school the engine light came on... I had my buddy check it with his reader and it came up saying it was an issue with the DPF.
I put some DPF cleaner in the tank, some good quality fuel and took it a 30 minute run in 5th gear with the revs about 2.5k down the motorway hoping to trigger a regen. This did not happen.

Went out last night to do a message and after a short while driving the car, it went into what I think was limp mode (wouldn't go above 30), I pulled over, switched the car off and back on and it completed the journey fine.

The engine light is still on (looks like an engine, no spanner etc), there has been no DPF warning light or service light etc come on. Car has 45k on it and a good service history.

Is my DPF trashed or are there some things I can check, don't really want to have to bring it to the dealers if I don't have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It could need the glow plugs replacing ? That's a bit like what happened with my Astra although it didn't go into limp mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
DPF's are a very common failure on that engine and often give strange messages or lights and don't behave as expected. There is very little more we can do with the information at hand I'm afraid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really hoped it wasn't going to be a DPF failure.
Apart from the EML light being on it drives fine at the moment.
I have ordered a code reader to see if I can get any more information / codes which can help. Hopefully it will be here in the next day or two.
Will update you if I find anything else out...

·
3,891 Posts
I put some DPF cleaner in the tank, some good quality fuel and took it a 30 minute run in 5th gear with the revs about 2.5k down the motorway hoping to trigger a regen. This did not happen.
How do you know it didn't happen? It wouldn't tell you it's happening.

To give your DPF the best chance of clearing I would suggest to avoid short journeys and try to keep the exhaust temperature up and a good flow of clean hot exhaust gas going through as much of the time as possible. Don't be booting it because that would be adding to the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OBDII reader arrived today
1 fault code, P2453
DPF Differential Pressure Sensor, Curcuit range / Performance.

Does that help anymore?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked the pipework this morning, everything seems OK with the pipe, it is clean and does not seem to be split.
Will see about getting another sensor to see if it makes a difference...

Does the error relate to the senor being iffy as apposed to the DPF being wrecked? or is there still a chance its knackered?

·
15,048 Posts
It won't regenerate on its own with a DPF related fault stored. The quicker it gets fixed the higher the chance it won't get too full so it will regenerate on its own. Otherwise it will need a static regeneration at the dealers before it won't run at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok, I understand.
Are the sensors the same on these engines... I done a quick google and part number 55566186 keeps coming up.
Ill order one up and see if a local garage will do a forced regen on it then to make sure its cleared.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts