Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all I am after some advice please

Im having problems with a 2005 Astra 1.7 CDTI (TI in red) 100,400 m. I recently changed the rear exhaust (was still the original) at a friend tyre garage. Went to drive it off the rams and nothing, wouldn't start. Eventually started so drove it outside. Left it 10 -15 minutes then started first time and drove off. The car had never done this before.

On the way home, on a motorway the engine suddenly cut out. Luckily I was coming up to a slip road so managed to get off. Car wouldn't start for love nor money. AA tried to say out of fuel, I had 1/4 tank left. He put fuel in and we managed to get started. I filled up at garage round corner. Car started briefly then cut out again. It soon restarted. Off I went on my merry way.

Was told to change the fuel filter (about 1yr old) which I did. Again no problems until yesterday.

Driving along normally and all of a sudden a clunk. Engine just cut out. Two red lights on dash the (!) and the battery light but no engine management light....! I kept trying to turn it over but to no avail. Car would crank but not fire up. Eventually after about 10-15 minutes the car fired up and away I went again. On way home I stopped at a mates for 30 mins it started no bother. Was driving for about 5 mins then again CLUNK the engine just suddenly died again. No juddering with the engine... it just stopped like it did earlier. Again 15 minutes or so later it restarted but nearly done it again within a few minutes I managed to get home. I haven't used it today for work only a 5m round trip but on a dual carriage way. Car has started no bother and been left running for an hour or so without any problems. Its as if it only happens when really warm and under stress (if thats the right word) of driving but doesnt do it all the time.

Can anyone shed any light as to what may be the fault.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but want to try and cover everything.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Ideally need it put on diagnostic equipment but at a guess I’d reckon cam or crank sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideally need it put on diagnostic equipment but at a guess I’d reckon cam or crank sensor

Thanks Davo. So what you are saying is they can send an intermittent fault that will cause the engine to just cut out? I have a Haynes Manual so will have a read up.

I would like to keep the cost down because of the age of the car, that said I have over the past 6 months spent about £350 on a new tyre, back exhaust box, back discs and shoes, caliper and hand brake cable. Thats off the top of my head.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Thanks Davo. So what you are saying is they can send an intermittent fault that will cause the engine to just cut out? I have a Haynes Manual so will have a read up.

I would like to keep the cost down because of the age of the car, that said I have over the past 6 months spent about £350 on a new tyre, back exhaust box, back discs and shoes, caliper and hand brake cable. Thats off the top of my head.
My 1.7 van has 226k on it on a 57 plate and runs better now than when I got it at 100k, tech2 or opcom should show what’s faulty, and don’t buy cheap, as it never lasts. The last mot on the van cost me £502, still worth it’s I still smile every time I drive it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts