Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know what has happened to my car but if I give you a series of events that occurred can anyone give me their thoughts??
Astra 2litre TDI, 11 plate, 98k miles
Day 1) Car went into limp mode in morning. Limped it to a garage near me. Same afternoon car ready to collect. I am told the DPF cane up on reading, they revved it to 3 thousand revs and held it there to clear carbon. Set the car so it was speaking to itself again and charged me £20 no receipt. When I drove it away there was a lot of smoke from the exhaust. They said it should clear.
Day 4) smoke still not cleared so phoned garage as didn't feel it was right. As I drive into garage the oil light came on. They said not to work about the smoke it would clear, then put 3.5 litre of oil in car as they said it was VERY low. I drove away and the smoke had completely stopped but the vehicle seemed to have intermittent loss of power, thought it was going back into limp mode but then was okay again. This continued very intermittently
Day 8) the loss of power became increasingly worse during a journey and the 'low oil pressure - switch off engine' light came on. I turned off and tried again to try get to garage. I drove a bit further till the light came on again so I stopped and called the garage. They towed me home and said the car is fu""ed!!!
I am left completely flummoxed by what has happened and iin such a short space of time!?!?
Any ideas what could have happened here?

·
Registered
387 Posts
It sounds as if you could have had an oil pressure issue or maybe an oil seal gone that wasn't diagnosed by the garage and allowed the engine to burn off its oil very quickly. Was the oil and filter recently changed? If you ran the engine for more than a few seconds with the low oil pressure warning light on, it will most likely have done some permanent engine damage unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
The car had not had any recent oil and filter changes unfortunately and having had another garage give an opinion on what might have happened, they have said that the crank shaft is damaged.
I looked into the 'forced regeneration' that was performed on my car and I learnt that the vehicle should always have the oil checked (along with other things) prior to performing this as it can be quite brutal on the vehicle using such high revs while stationary with no load - my car wasn't checked prior to this action and believe this was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. along with that 3 days later they put in 3.5 litres of oil - this seems excessive and believe this may have damaged the turbo? (which would explain the loss of power) and the high oil levels may have then damaged the crank shaft?
I am thinking of writing to the garage that performed the forced regen to ask them to verify their actions and look at taking this further. my car had only a DPF issue when it went in, it came out with worse problems and within a week it died.
This can't be a coincidence, right?
Also no warning lights came on my dash at all whenever my car went into limp mode (which I had complained to the garage I bought it from after it went into limp mode 3 times in 4 months when I first bought it 3 years ago)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts