Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find out what my engine code is but I cannot see what the numbers on the block say, is there anyway I can find out using my chassis number or registration? I require it because I need to purchase a replacement engine ecu and was told that the z16xep and z16xer engines are completely different! It's a 2008 1.6 Astra sxi 5 door hatch back

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
Easy way to tell if you don't have the book is the xer(vvt) engines have a little ] box on the right hand of the engine, but being a 08 you can be sure it's a xer.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
2008 is most likely to be the Z16XER. This is the 1.6 VVT 115 engine. This replaced the Z16XEP 1.6 TwinPort 105 engine in around 2007

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
+1

If your oil filler cap is at the back right you have an xer

This is the layout of the xer engines

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Right well I know it is a VVT engine as it has the 2 sensors either side of the head that pick up on the cams and I also know the filler cap it at the back right! Looks like its an xer!

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
It is then but the 2 cam sensors are at the right hand side, the ones on the left are knock sensors (Y)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next question, sorry but will the ecu off any xer engine fit my car? I've found a few on eBay but theyre from zafiras and vectras aswell as astras but all have different part numbers! Can I buy one of these and program it to my car?

And thanks again peeps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts