Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,
I just bought a new Astra '08 5 dr elite.. I love it!
I wanted to fit a hands free kit, and a iPhone charger/dock.

I wanted to hide the cables, so it all looks neat..
Tonight I took apart the dash, and cut the 2 wires going to the 12v cigarette socket. I added then added a junction box to connect the cables back together. I also added an additional 2 wires coming from the junction box going to a 3way-12v adapter.
So In total, the junction box had the 2 wires from the car going in, and then 2 wires to the original 12v socket + 2 wires to the 3way 12v adapter coming out.

all of a sudden, I could smell Burning, and the 3 way adapter box starting smoking. I then unplugged it, so it was just the original 12v socket, which has now stopped working.

Firstly, how can I get the socket working again,
Secondly why did this happen.
Thirdly, how Am i best wiring this next time round?

Many Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Welcome to AON (Y)

Have you checked the fuses? As there has been burning check the condition of all the wires.
It most likely happened because a wire got crossed and was shorting out.
The best way to wire it is to use the spare 12v feed that is taped to the loom a couple of inches from the 12v socket.
Lastly, next time you want to start chopping wires, come here first so that we can tell you where the spare feeds are (Y)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check the fuses in the light tomorrow! Any fuses in particular that I should check? I assume it's the fuses in the boot I should check?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok,
Thanks for your help and advise!

I did see the 3rd cable (spare feed) but only noticed one cable, opposed to the pair..
How could I wire up a 2nd socket, if there is only one cable?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, If i have screwed the 12v socket, am I able to replace just this socket, or do I need to buy the socket, plus the whole surround?

·
Registered
378 Posts
it will be a fuse either 10 or 15 amp mini blade fuse i think, did u drop anything in the the socket???? or when you cut the wire did that touch bare metal ??????

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the wire may of touched bare metal.. What effect would that of had (sorry, I am by no means electrically minded!)
I think the burning smell came from the 3-to-1 12v socket adapter I was trying to fit.. It STINKS!

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
If an electrical feed touches bare metal it sends the feed into that piece of metal, when that piece of metal is the size of a car it instantly consumes a massive amount of power overpowering the wiring and/or fuse causing the burning you have experienced - this is known as a 'short'.

You may well have fried the 12v socket, probably some of the internal wiring will have taken the brunt of the hit.

The secondary feed that you have seen is the live only, you would need to add the earth. This can be taken from any of the other earths in the vehicle or if you would like to add another earth there is an earth bar running the width of the car up behind the dash

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There's a good earth point just behind the glovebox if you remove it it's right there to the top right, I run the earths for my 3 gauge conversion from there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!
And If I have fried the 12v socket, Am I able to replace the socket by itself or do I have to buy the socket integrated to the plastic surround?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After replacing the fuses tonight, I noticed that the fault is with a blown fuse in the device its self! I will replace that, and hopefully Its not damaged at all!

When I try and do this install again, I assume the spare power output runs to the + and the earth would run to the -?

Thanks for everybody comments and help so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts