Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i recently purchased a 60 plate 1.3 exclusiv Astra, and although i am reasonable pleased with the car i have a strange issue with the electrical parking brake. When i test drove the car it had this message but the dealer intended to service the car before i picked it up on Saturday, which they did. However i now have the Service vehicle soon message which they are going to sort this week but i have a stranger issue with the electrical parking brake fault it only comes on when i turn the lights on. As soon as i turn the dial the message comes up, then if i turn the lights off the message goes away. What could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
59,266 Posts
On the J certain systems are vulnerable to issues when the battery is low. Systems such as stop/start, EPB, etc. need the car to meet certain criteria like a minimum temperature, minimum battery charge in order to function correctly. My first guess would be to take a look at the battery/alternator as it seems that the action of switching the lights on is enough of a drain for the car to register that there is an issue. it might not be the solution but it is worth a look.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hello, i recently purchased a 60 plate 1.3 exclusiv Astra, and although i am reasonable pleased with the car i have a strange issue with the electrical parking brake. When i test drove the car it had this message but the dealer intended to service the car before i picked it up on Saturday, which they did. However i now have the Service vehicle soon message which they are going to sort this week but i have a stranger issue with the electrical parking brake fault it only comes on when i turn the lights on. As soon as i turn the dial the message comes up, then if i turn the lights off the message goes away. What could be causing this?
Hi
Are you putting the lights on with the engine running or not?, also have you tried to operate the hand brake with the lights on to hear if the hand brake is operating. As Molly said maybe insufficient power to operate hand brake

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've only tried with the engine running, whilst I’m driving, when the parking brake has no reason to operate. With the daytime running lights on its ok but when I switch to side lights or main lights I get the error message about the parking brake. if I pull up and stop and try to apply the parking brake it doesn't appear to function, until I turn the lights of and the message disappears. Seems odd as I’d have thought the DRL were using more power than the sidelights.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, i'll check the voltage reading from the battery. Also i've noticed the leds in the interior light cluster (above the rear view mirror) flicker constantly i might have imagined it but i think the leds in the light switch were too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked the voltage and it 12.5V without anything on but rises to 15 with the engine running. I've driven the car for 5 30 -40 min drives since i got it but i'll stick a batter charger on when i get in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hope so it's going in tomorrow. Just out of curiosity how long should the led lights stay on in the car I've just been out to check the charger and they're still on. I mean the ones on the steering wheel and center console. The locks and light switches. Battery is now reading 13.4v

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My mistake. I assumed the same as the previous generation and the Insignia in that the clocks are on but the rest of the dash and centre console are not.
No, I think we misunderstood one another. It's only the speedo lights that are on all the time. The heating controls, etc only come on with the lights. But as they're LEDs, virtually no current will be drawn from the battery anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Should the led lights on the light switch, steering controls and the buttons under the clock (air bag, locks) stay on after i've locked the car i left the car for 2 hours last night locked and they were still on.

·
Premium Member
59,266 Posts
There is always a residual currency in the car. As a result some cars will light the LED's up. It was the same on the H. Some cars you would never see it, some it would be like Blackpool Illuminations. I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK thanks for putting my mind at rest, although they were still on this morning. Now off to the garage to get the faults read and find out why i get the hand break warning when i turn the lights on even with a charged battery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only codes I can read are U0128 lost communication with park brake control module. P0234 over boost condition. P003a turbo charger vane position not learned. P0672 cylinder 2 glow plug circuit

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Should the led lights on the light switch, steering controls and the buttons under the clock (air bag, locks) stay on after i've locked the car i left the car for 2 hours last night locked and they were still on.
Doesn't happen with mine. All dash lights, steering wheel control lights, etc go out when the car is locked. However I can make the LEDs light up on the CD400 stereo by trying to open the boot with the car locked.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts