Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, it is me or is there a knack to seal the rear exhaust join on a standard exhaust? i got a new back box with a fitting kit, it had new bolts, springs and sealing ring, it tightened it up to take a bit of strain on the springs, it chuffs niceley!!! ithen tightened it up a bit more, still chuffing, another tightening to almost compress the springs and still it chuffs,, lost patience and dogged it up as tight as it goes, the spings are compressed totally now, still it chuffs, im tempted to weld the bugger ha ha any tips or ideas to a possible solution would be great as a blowing exhuast aint cool!!!! thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Few possibilities - one is that its not the correct size flange (I love saying flange), second - theres no gasket there, not essential but can help, third - did you use exhaust paste/putty? Its a tube of stuff that hardens with heat and seals exhaust joins

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi bechdan, the flange meets ok with the bolts going thro straight, if a mismatch id recon they would be squint, the kit came with a compressed wire ring gasket, i used it, didnt try without it tho, i didnt use any paste as the joint looks like its meant to move a bit .

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
It appears that you have all the right kit for the exhaust.
The wire gasket should have the tapered end facing toward the engine. The bolts also should be pointing toward the engine.
If you have done all this, then the exhaust should seal fine. Unless you have been supplied with an incorrectly sized back box or the centre pipe is an incorrect size.
I wouldnt bother using exhaust paste on that particular join as it does move slightly and will just start to blow again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi ant21 the bolts definatley face the front as the middle section has the threads in it, il check the gasket direction when the rain goes, hopefully tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I didn´t have a gasket so I used wire wool and paste been fine but if it does start blowing then i´ll get the propper gasket

1 - 6 of 6 Posts