Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok ever since i had my car with AFL i've never been able to switch the DRL's off, no matter what position auto lights setting (on/off doesnt matter). Anyhow for the 1st time yesterday i got them to switch off and i'm not sure how i did it. It was a combination of going through the auto switch in a certain way:eek:. Reading a little on web i've noticed this has happened to older cars with AFL but nobody can give a clear reason why or how they switch off. From what i can tell you fool the system into switching them off because of light levels so the system believes you dont want them on. Manual doesnt say and the one vx guy i spoke to was all shrugs. So anyone know how you can deactivate/activate them for sure?

Just to add the engine needs to be on

·
A.O.N Regional Organiser S.E. - Charlotte
2,974 Posts
Mike i believe you are correct, DRL stands for Daytime Running Lights, and therefore they are deemed safe to use all the time, instead of fog lights, like some spotty 17 year olds in saxos :lol:

·
15,092 Posts
I think the very first ones came out before the law changed so there was a way of turning them off. But all the ones produced since the law changed are on all the time.

How old is the car you have?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ok ever since i had my car with AFL i've never been able to switch the DRL's off, no matter what position auto lights setting (on/off doesnt matter). Anyhow for the 1st time yesterday i got them to switch off and i'm not sure how i did it. It was a combination of going through the auto switch in a certain way:eek:. Reading a little on web i've noticed this has happened to older cars with AFL but nobody can give a clear reason why or how they switch off. From what i can tell you fool the system into switching them off because of light levels so the system believes you dont want them on. Manual doesnt say and the one vx guy i spoke to was all shrugs. So anyone know how you can deactivate/activate them for sure?

Just to add the engine needs to be on
I couldn't turn the drls off on my '58 plate insignia ...god I miss my AFLs :-( .... Bigal

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the very first ones came out before the law changed so there was a way of turning them off. But all the ones produced since the law changed are on all the time.

How old is the car you have?
It is a 12 plate. And the engine needs to be running for certain to do it by slowly switching the auto button on/off a few times. Once engine been turned off it resets itself again and they stay on. Anyone else want to try it on theres? Has to be the AFL system though

·
Registered
446 Posts
I can turn my DRL's off.

Switch lights from Auto to off, and the DRLs switch off. Always worked in that way with my AFLs. MY11 spec car though so before DRL's were required.

·
Registered
716 Posts
GPTom is right, my MY12 is the same however I think it,all depends on lighting levels the sensor in the mirror cluster detects whether drl's stay on or go off when you turn light knob to the left. Had to get out to check! Confused.com but that's my take on this mystery.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes chevette that's it, i'm not 100% sure whether the lighting level has to be above or below a level and then switching them on/off works but it is possible to switch them off, whereas i believed it was impossible to switch them off as i've tried several times over the last months. Just wish Vauxhall would confirm by writing it in the manual and confirming how it can be done. I'll have another play during week and see if there is a pattern.:sus:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Before the law changed if you switch from auto to off the drl's go off, then switch back to auto they stay off. You have to switch ignition off and back on for them to come back on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts