Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easy one really, there are quite a few people on here that have the 1.9 150ps with mileage well over the 100,000 mark, so if you haven't removed or gutted it and still have one installed is it still the original one or do they die at about 70 to 80k?

·
40,693 Posts
Easy one really, there are quite a few people on here that have the 1.9 150ps with mileage well over the 100,000 mark, so if you haven't removed or gutted it and still have one installed is it still the original one or do they die at about 70 to 80k?
I have 112k on mine. It was replaced at 10k because it was blocked solid from a different problem. So 102k now. Dont think there's a lifespan on them

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Mixman. I'm impressed that no one else has contradicted you. So I can now just continue to enjoy the Zafira and not worry about replacing the DPF :thumbs:

·
40,693 Posts
It's just like an extra cat so I dare say there is the chance of them corroding inside rather than having a set lifespan.

·
15,092 Posts
Yes, it's a steel casing with a ceramic matrix inside, there's not much to fail. The only reason they need changing is as Mickie says soot saturation but that's normally from a failure elsewhere rather than with the DPF.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
A DPF's lifespan is governed by driving style, vehicle maintenance, etc and cannot be quantified as 'they go at 70k', etc. As an example, my parents have bought a Focus with a DPF, against my advice as I knew it wouldnt suit his driving style. They bought the car with 85k on it, original DPF in place, after 3 months it went back for a new DPF under warranty as it had completely failed. 5 months and 2k miles later it has failed again. It is presently at my mates garage having the DPF bypassed and mapped out.

The reasons behind it are that the car does 3 miles to work and 3 miles back 6 days a week, then will do another 3 or 4 miles every day in a separate journey to visit my Gran. In that 5 month period it has made a couple of 90 mile round trips to the Metro Centre, never at high revs and when the DPF tried to regen he stopped the car because he thought there was something wrong with it despite me warning him that it would happen. He shouldnt be driving a diesel and certainly shouldnt have one with a DPF.

In other words, if it is looked after it will last (Y)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'm sure that a lot of people will be very happy with these replies.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
MollyG

Parents eh!

My old man topped up the oil in his car when at a service station on the M5. He had 300 miles to get home and panicked when the light came on, I asked how much he put in, he said to the top of the dipstick.
I said roughly how much, he replied nearly the whole bottle, I said a whole litre he said no nearly 5.....

He had to het a mechamic to drain out 4.5 litres.... Nugget.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
MollyG

Parents eh!

My old man topped up the oil in his car when at a service station on the M5. He had 300 miles to get home and panicked when the light came on, I asked how much he put in, he said to the top of the dipstick.
I said roughly how much, he replied nearly the whole bottle, I said a whole litre he said no nearly 5.....

He had to het a mechamic to drain out 4.5 litres.... Nugget.
God bless parents! :lol: Mine have the car back with the DPF gone and fully remapped and they haven't even noticed that it drives differently :sus:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts