Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In short I had one of the rear coil spring replaced on the right side but I read there was a standard coil spring and a sport one. I'm thinking I got the standard coil spring since I looked under the car and the left side seems different to the ride side in terms of being bigger than the other side.

Right side (coil spring replaced)
right side (coil).jpg

Left side (standard)
left side(coil).jpg

Showing both sides
whole bottom2.jpg

In addition, it looks like the right side seems a bit lower than the left side since the size of coil spring

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
as above, but I would say your prob missing a pigtail off the passenger side as there/s no viual indication to differentiate between a sports and std spring unfortunately.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ideally I believe you are always best changing both sides when you have to replace one.
as above, but I would say your prob missing a pigtail off the passenger side as there/s no viual indication to differentiate between a sports and std spring unfortunately.
Thanks guys, the garage I went to get MOT (last time going there) did not bother informing me that it should be recommend to change both which if that was the case then I would of done 2.

What happens if only 1 side is changed, does it cause the other side to become weaken,handling?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It won't handle right and it won't sit right. The new spring will be stiffer

Thanks, I will test the handling out for the right side and see. I just believe if it is not broken don't fix it but I probably book the car in to get the other side done

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
The point is that it will be broken. It is as worn as the one you've replaced on the other side. Not snapped isn't the same as not broken. You wouldn't only replace one brake pad just because the other one isn't squealing yet

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The point is that it will be broken. It is as worn as the one you've replaced on the other side. Not snapped isn't the same as not broken. You wouldn't only replace one brake pad just because the other one isn't squealing yet

I will book the car in to get the other side replaced and by any chance,would you know what the vauxhall part number for the rear spring is? The reason is I want to ask if the mechanic has used the sport coil spring instead of the standard?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts