Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 1.6 cdti, it makes horrible noises, everybody is talking about bad timing chain but never really heard that anybody would snap his timing chain... Many people go 100-200.000 km without changing chain, and even they do the rattling sound comes back. Even the mechanic guy in the dealership said they never seen a chain snapped or jumped... So I start to think people are just know nothing about diesels. I remember the old Mercedes (like the w201) diesels sounded soooo terrible, but they were one of the most reliable cars ever built. I am curious if I am right and people are just making up idiot diagnostics, or the sitauation is really that bad... I changed my chain at 180.000 km, and it was losen but not terribly losen, I think it would be fine for many kilometers more...

·
Registered
291 Posts
If its been serviced woth cheap oil then yeah the tensioner start to rattle/tap and get worse and worse till either chain snaps or the tensioner give way.this happens to most chain driven engines if not serviced at the right times with manufacturers approved oils

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but these engine's tensioners oil based, (by oil pressure) so dont you think its not strange that they produce this rattling when the engine is cold? In my opinion its pretty understandable in this way... If the rattle wouldn't go away even when the engine is hot, then yea that would be a problem (in my opinion, but i'm not a mechanic but as I see none of the forumers are)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
but these engine's tensioners oil based, (by oil pressure) so dont you think its not strange that they produce this rattling when the engine is cold? In my opinion its pretty understandable in this way... If the rattle wouldn't go away even when the engine is hot, then yea that would be a problem (in my opinion, but i'm not a mechanic but as I see none of the forumers are)
In my opinion you have a few problems with this and many other modern timing chain engines and that is the fact they all all seem to run with simplex chains rather than duplex or possibly even triplex,this instantly gives the chain more scope to stretch and cause problems,couple this with a hydraulic rather than manual tensioner and you have an engine running with little margin for wear.
The Vx 1.6D engines did have the tensioners modified a while ago to try and stop this cold start rattle but that mod wasn't successful, so there were still reports of engines with modified tensioners having the issue.
Move on to the end of 2020 and they decided to add a gasket with small drain hole to the tensioner to limit oil drain back to try and get over the dry running period when starting,time will tell if that works or not.

Personally i've not seen any reports i can remember of a chain breaking on the 1.6D but i have heard of chains jumping a few teeth.
The most common issue seems to be worn chain guides which if left without rectification can break up causing the oil pump and/or oil pump drive chain to fail.
I say this as a retired Vx tech although i had retired prior to the 1.6 engine coming into production.
As an aside they are now having end float issues on the latest range of 1.2 petrol engines which really shouldn't be an issue nowadays,sadly it points to poor engineering decisions or possibly poor quality control.

Reactions: disASTRA200sri

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 1.6 cdti, it makes horrible noises, everybody is talking about bad timing chain but never really heard that anybody would snap his timing chain... Many people go 100-200.000 km without changing chain, and even they do the rattling sound comes back. Even the mechanic guy in the dealership said they never seen a chain snapped or jumped... So I start to think people are just know nothing about diesels. I remember the old Mercedes (like the w201) diesels sounded soooo terrible, but they were one of the most reliable cars ever built. I am curious if I am right and people are just making up idiot diagnostics, or the sitauation is really that bad... I changed my chain at 180.000 km, and it was losen but not terribly losen, I think it would be fine for many kilometers more...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts