Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I find it inconsistent so I don't rely on it. A number of times I've been on a hill and released the foot brake to find it starts rolling back. The Astra seriously needs to inform its driver more about what the automated systems are doing. Things appearing in the display like "HSA Active" for Hill Start Assist, "DPF Clean in progress" to name but 2.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Yeah the auto wipers are totally useless. Although i now have my windscreen sealed with some g techniq nano sealant so hardly even need to use the wipers in the rain, especially at 60mph or so windscreen stays clear as day (Y)

I dont mind the hill start though, its the stupid stop start rubbish that annoys me. First thing i do when i start the car is turn it off.

James

:)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Personally I find the auto wipers on sensitivity 2 work very well. With the except of the odd random wipe maybe once every 100 miles or so they work 100% flawlessly. The lights are a bit random as to when they want to turn off however.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Hill Start Assist can be disabled on the J 2012 SRi.

I don't have the electronic paring break and the HSA seems to be wearing my pads out quicker.
The answer is no it can't be disabled or programmed out by vaux. As I rung 3 dealers today, to see if it could be done. For the amount of times it comes on. I doubt it would cause any excessive break wear.
I have a 2011 1.6 sri 1.6. Just covered 80k. Just had its first ever replacement rear pads & discs. Not forgetting your rear pads do not have as much meat on them to start with, compared to your fronts.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
I certainly wouldn't take the opinion of the dealerships as anything like fact. There is a long list of things that they will tell you can't be done to a H that any number of people on here have done. In fact I would be amazed if it can't be done as not all J's have it so there is probably a very simple software trigger for it. Also worth considering is that few dealers would do it even if they knew how as they would be deactivating what some would consider to be a safety feature

·
Administrator
3,914 Posts
Absolutely agree with what Tony says above - dealers saying something can't be done means nothing. Dealers don't have any interest in doing anything non-standard.

Some info on HSA:

Vauxhall said:
Hill Start Assist
The hill start assist allows the driver to launch his vehicle without a roll back while he is moving his foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal. The EBCM calculates the brake pressure, which is needed to hold the vehicle on an incline and locks that pressure for a certain time by commanding the appropriate solenoid valves ON and OFF when the brake pedal is released. Hill start assist is activated when the EBCM determines that the driver wishes to move his vehicle up-hill, either backwards or forwards.

The following inputs are used for hill start assist feature:

• Brake switch
• Brake pressure
• Longitudinal acceleration
• Engine torque
• Reverse gear information
• Clutch switch
• Accelerator pedal position
• Vehicle speed
Logic would say there are three ways to approach disabling the feature:
1) Change programming of control module to disable feature
2) Disable/bypass a sensor/input so the feature doesn't activate
3) Disable/bypass a solenoid/output so that the feature can't take effect

Programming can probably be answered by @stampede - either there's an option for it or not.
Looking at the above list of inputs, you couldn't disable any without affecting other features.
Looking at the description of operation, it says a solenoid holds the brake fluid pressure... so maybe you can just disconnect or bypass that solenoid...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts