Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this, so please excuse me if this has been discussed before, but negotiating the forum is a bit of a mystery to me!
I have just replaced the dephaser pulleys and timing belt on my 2007 1.6 16v astra (and found that the inlet cam pulley had about half an inch play in it), but now it has not got the power it should have and I've found out that there is vacuum pressure in the rocker cover, so much so that it is almost impossible to remove the oil filler cap while the engine is ticking over and also the dipstick has suction when removing it. I have searched and found that the problem with the suction is most probably the crankcase diaphragm valve which is in the cam cover, but will that fault make the engine gutless? I have tried driving a short distance the the oil filler cap off as well and another short drive with the air filter disconnected, but these made no noticeable difference? Unfortunately I didn't check the oil filler cap pressure before I started the work on the car, so I've no comparison, but I did spray the cam cover with Jiser and then pressure washed it in order to remove caked on grime, so that might have knackered the diaphragm. Is it possible that I have fitted the new dephaser pulleys one tooth out on the belt, in other words will it make that much difference to the power? I did the thing of turning the engine over two revolutions and checking the dots on the cam dephaser pulleys and crankshaft and with the crank in position the pulleys were quite close, but the left one was higher (as it stated it should be in the instructions I had) and I think if I move it one tooth lower it will in all probability be too low then.
Any thoughts or ideas will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts