Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know for definite most will be able to shed some light on this topic!

I just want to take my badge of the back, probably the letters too so I can respray the boot strip.

What's the best DIY way to go about it!? Watched a few tutorials but do I really need 'Goo gone'? Are there anymore ways of getting rid of the residue??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
WD40 gets rid of it, as will turps or most other petrol or alcohol based cleaners. Just wash off the residue of which ever product you use when you have finished

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I didn't need anything when doing mine. I used warm water instead of a hair dryer to heat it and the glue all came off nice and easy. The last little bits that were left came straight off after some more warm water and a bit of elbow grease was applied :mrgreen:

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
It's simple to do really boil kettle pour over badge use old credit card to get behind it, pull off badge, use wd40 pull
Off the long black bits, polish it up jobs a Gooden,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh perfect :) I were wondering how I were going to get the hair dryer outside when my flat is top floor lol. Hot water it is!

Thanks to all :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
i'm not worried about taking the badges off paint as i know i can polish it out but what about the astra on the chrome strip? anyone had any issues with ghosting? if so how did you get rid of it?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I pulled mine off then used asda's own glass cleaner.. Worked :shrug:

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
Search? What does that do? Stop making words up!
That was freaky! I had a crazy dream where the forum had this thing call a "search" funtion, it basically gave members the power to look for specific words / subjects that may have already been asked, hence saving the same question be asked again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, well you get the idea.

I'm off to Dragon's Den to pitch my idea! :wave:

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
You won't get any ghosting on the chrome
Really? It's not hugely visibile, but when following Ian I do sometimes notice a ghosted 1.6 where the badge used to be... It's not noticable in all lights, but I have seen it.

That said, I never noticed anything on my old car when I had the strip debadged chrome for a while :shrug:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can confirm the following; (trial and error) ...

Just warm water doesn't work! It has to be boiling and poured straight from the kettle like Mike said.

And also use a plastic card of some kind :) don't bother with fishing line it's useless!

Having slighter longer nails will help for taking the debri off after lol. Then as LTR said, elbow grease with your choice of cleaning product! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Heres my before and after :)
I know you guys seen plenty but im getting excited. Think this is the start of my modding journey, simple things please simple minds ha. Thanks for all advice guys

1 - 20 of 21 Posts